BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Joshua,

I can understand why you would be surprised, but of course there is more to the EG/server connection than you describe.

EG communicates with a metadata server (often the same host as the workspace) to gather information about available resources. It caches this information but updates it fairly agressively when there is a possibility that something has changed (new library assigned, for example).

EG communicates with the workspace server to read data, examine libraries and their contents, submit SAS programs, listen for events such as "data created/modified" or "step completed", collect log information, download ODS results such as HTML, PDF, images, whatever is needed.

It seems like a lot, but even with all of this EG is reasonably responsive even across a WAN. As an example of this, I'd point to the SAS OnDemand for Academics program (http://support.sas.com/ondemand/), which provides the EG client to professors and students, who use it to connect to a SAS server over the Internet. With a broadband connection, performance is good.

We try to be good stewards of your network resources. It isn't our "#1" concern because most companies deploy our apps on a LAN and have plenty of bandwidth. But it is an aspect of performance that we try to be concientious about.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
That makes sense too. Though its a thin client, its still a complex piece of software. I dont think the bottleneck (if any) is due to the EG spamming the network, its probably more the IO bandwidth for transfer of files, or to access data sets and external data mounted externally from the sas server. I do wonder how optimal it is to access data across the network (on a oracle database or a mounted but external shared folder hosting data files)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation