BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JohnT
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I work at a small company, and we use Base SAS without a server.

We query tables via an ODBC connection to a Microsoft SQL server.  The SAS datasets which we care about are then saved onto the network!!!

We currently have SAS 9.2 and Enterprise Guide 4.2.  And we run on a Windows XP enviroment.

I'd like to try Enterprise Guide 4.2, as I've been told that pretty much everything I can do on Base SAS can be done with Enterprise guide, however, I can't even run a program.

I go:

File -> New -> Program

Program editor pops up.

I type in a trivial libname statement:

libname c "c:\";

It then says a connection to Local server cannot be established.

So I click on the Server List and click on Local, and get the following in the log of the pop up message:

Class not registered

------------------------------ Technical Information Follows ------------------------------

SAS.EG.SDS.SDSException: Class not registered
---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Class not registered

at SASObjectManager.ObjectFactoryMulti2Class.CreateObjectByServer(String Name, Boolean synchronous, ServerDef pIServerDef, String LoginName, String Password)
   at SAS.EG.SDS.Model.Server.Connect(ConnectionInfo connInfo)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at SAS.EG.SDS.Model.Server.Connect(ConnectionInfo connInfo)
   at SAS.EG.SDS.Model.Server.SASWorkspace()
   at SAS.EG.SDS.Views.View.DoPopulate(DisplayOperation& op)

------------------------------ End of Technical Information ------------------------------

^^

This kind of suggests to me that the work folder is not being allocated?  I have no problems running Base SAS, it automatically creates a work folder when I start it up, but there is no such folder being created when I start up Enterprise Guide.

Is there a setting in SAS Enterprise Guide that I can tweak to get this up and running?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
darrylovia
Quartz | Level 8

I would put in a help ticket.  It looks like the user (you) has not been put into the system via sas management console.

ShaneGibson_OptimalBI
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi John

By default Enterprise Guide 4.2 expects you to connect to a metadata server.  This holds all the details of your libraries etc.

The Metadata Server talks to a workspace server that runs the acutall SAS code.

The errors you are seeing are saying that EG cannot connect to a SAS server, which is why it isnt working because as you say in your post you have no sas server and are trying to use base SAS on your PC.

In the EG connection profile make sure you have <do not use a profile> selected.

And of course make sure you have SAS 9.2 base SAS install, EG 4.2 does not work with SAS 9.1

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation