BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DrZenith
Calcite | Level 5

Hey guys....

I have SAS EG 4.1 with the following licenses, though I don't have access to BASE SAS

---Base Product                                                            30JUL2012 

---SAS/STAT                                                                30JUL2012 

---SAS/GRAPH                                                               30JUL2012 

---SAS/ETS                                                                 30JUL2012 

---SAS/CONNECT                                                             30JUL2012 

---SAS Enterprise Miner                                                    30JUL2012 

---SAS Integration Technologies                                            30JUL2012 

---Enterprise Miner Server                                                 30JUL2012 

---Enterprise Miner Thin Client                                            30JUL2012 

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to Teradata                                        30JUL2012 

---PRODNUM248                                                              30JUL2012 

I have some PROC SQL statements in a SAS file...I want the results to exported to Excel(2003 version would also do). I tried Googling, but couldnt relate to what I was trying to do in EG.

Hoping for some positive response!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

When you use Enterprise Guide, behind the scenes it is using SAS. It either uses SAS on your PC, or on a remote server.

In your case, the directory tree that it is trying to write to looks like Unix syntax. I suspect your behind-the-scenes SAS code is running on a Unix server.

This isn't a problem, but you have to contact your system administrator, and find out where you are supposed to write files on your Unix server. Once you know this, specify it in your "file=" parameter in the response given by TriciaA. You don't need SAS/Access to use ODS. (something like "file=/home/drzenith/myexcelfile.xls")

However, once you write it to a file on your Unix server, you then need to get it to your PC.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TriciaA
Calcite | Level 5

Here's one of many methods to export a SAS DSN to EXCEL.  I am assuming that you can access your desktop PC in this example.  However,

ods html file="C:/temp/my_new_output.xls"

style=minimal;

proc sql;

select * from sashelp.shoes;

quit;

ods html close;

You can also use PROC Export (File > Export), a SAS Tagset (such as ExcelXP), and probably some ways I have forgotten.

Here's a good paper: http://www.nesug.org/proceedings/nesug04/io/io09.pdf

Tricia

SAS BI-NOTES Blog

RonO
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Dr. !  I think you need a SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC for anything MS-related.  I use a 64-bit Windows 2003 server so I need the SAS/ACCESS interface to PC Files as well (64-bit vs. 32-bit files).

DrZenith
Calcite | Level 5

Yeah..Thats seems to be the issue..I don't have sas/access. When i try to run ODS HTMl or ODS CSv...it says "Insufficient authorization to access /opt/apps/sas/config/Lev1/SASApp"

What next then???

TriciaA
Calcite | Level 5

Since it says you cannot authorize that directory - it means you are probably not allowed to write to your desktop.

You system admin needs to provide a place/permission to write the Excel file.

Did you try the File > Export method?  Probably a long shot - but you might be able to see where you are allowed to write files to.

Also do you have the MS Excel Add-IN?  You can access the SAS Folders from Excel.

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

As for your HTML permissions error

Give a proper location that you have access to for your HTML file, the error you see is because you can't write to the default location that you mention

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

When you use Enterprise Guide, behind the scenes it is using SAS. It either uses SAS on your PC, or on a remote server.

In your case, the directory tree that it is trying to write to looks like Unix syntax. I suspect your behind-the-scenes SAS code is running on a Unix server.

This isn't a problem, but you have to contact your system administrator, and find out where you are supposed to write files on your Unix server. Once you know this, specify it in your "file=" parameter in the response given by TriciaA. You don't need SAS/Access to use ODS. (something like "file=/home/drzenith/myexcelfile.xls")

However, once you write it to a file on your Unix server, you then need to get it to your PC.

DrZenith
Calcite | Level 5

That's the exact case, it's on a remote server. Thanks TriciaA and Tomkari.

broz
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Dr.Z

You might ask your UNIX admin to set up a SAMBA drive (see http://www.samba.org/) so that you can write there and access it direct from your PC (see this note http://support.sas.com/kb/17/119.html)  -  Its nice, because once the default path for the EGuide "FILES" is set to that SAMBA drive (See http://support.sas.com/kb/16/364.html) you can write/read/export/import stuff out there, and your windows system can be setup to access that drive too. Then you can use lots of nice tricks to get clean excel output from ODS, such as http://support.sas.com/kb/24/823.html

Cheers

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation