BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Pranav_
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to create and run schedules job on SAS EG 7.13. Code is very basic as the current goal is to ensure that I am able to run scheduled jobs

The job is not running and the history tab has the error with Launch Failure.

I tried to run the vb script directly from the saved location and get the below error

Error # 80004003

In Function Container.Run

Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

I have already tried various things from online with no success. Any suggestions are appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ncardoso
Fluorite | Level 6

I solved my problem that was exactly the same as yours, I have this error for months.

I run the same SAS process every day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon and every day I have different results.

Sometimes I only get the error in the morning, sometimes I only get the error in the afternoon, sometimes I don't get error and sometimes I get the error in the morning and afternoon .

The solution is very simple but to get there was very hard:

- Step 1

Open SAS in the project that you want to schedule, change the name of "Process Flow" to any something like "MyProcess", "MyFlow" , "MainProcess" or "Main", a name of your choice, right-clicking on Process Flow to change the name or select option rename.

Now you can save and close SAS project.

- Step 2

Now change the vbs script to be with the same name that we gave above:

Example: Change the name "Process Flow" to-> "MainProcess"

Open vbs and change line with the line code ->

containerName = "Process Flow"  'Container Name
to 

containerName = "MainProcess" 'Container Name

Save the script.

If it doesn't work I will explain later how I get the solution, I think it will helps you to solve the problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @Pranav_

Not sure if you are still experiencing the described issue, if yes let me try to help you.

First, did you get a chance to review Usage Note 56648 (Tips for scheduling a SAS® Enterprise Guide® project)?

This would be the starting point, assuming the project runs successfully interactively.

Also, please enable the log as per Usage Note 55414 (Enabling logging in SAS® Enterprise Guide® 7.1 and later).

When you try to execute the scheduled project, do you see further details in the log ?

Are you able to run another *.vbs file, not created by EG ?

If that works, go back to the script created by EG, edit it (with Notepad for instance) and enable the error message box that is commented out at the end of the file. Remove the single quote before the line: MsgBox strmsg. If any messages appear in a pop-up dialog box, please share it with us.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Damo

Pranav_
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi @Damo

Thank you for the response. I have tried the suggestions and had done the MsgBox strmsg as well earlier. 

Please see the error message attached 

Error "

In Function Container.Run

Object reference not set to an instance of an object 

Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @Pranav_

Thanks.

What about other points I mentioned (the 2 SAS-Notes and testing a sample vbs not created by EG ?

Cheers,
Damo

Pranav_
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi @Damo

Yes , I have run the other steps(SAS notes) as well and verified the same. I am able to create a vb script directory and run it

The error remains same as in the previous post

Regards:

Pranav Goel

Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @Pranav_

In that case, i would encourage you to raise a track with your local Technical Support.

You can share logs, review Event Viewer, etc.

Cheers,
Damo

ncardoso
Fluorite | Level 6

I solved my problem that was exactly the same as yours, I have this error for months.

I run the same SAS process every day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon and every day I have different results.

Sometimes I only get the error in the morning, sometimes I only get the error in the afternoon, sometimes I don't get error and sometimes I get the error in the morning and afternoon .

The solution is very simple but to get there was very hard:

- Step 1

Open SAS in the project that you want to schedule, change the name of "Process Flow" to any something like "MyProcess", "MyFlow" , "MainProcess" or "Main", a name of your choice, right-clicking on Process Flow to change the name or select option rename.

Now you can save and close SAS project.

- Step 2

Now change the vbs script to be with the same name that we gave above:

Example: Change the name "Process Flow" to-> "MainProcess"

Open vbs and change line with the line code ->

containerName = "Process Flow"  'Container Name
to 

containerName = "MainProcess" 'Container Name

Save the script.

If it doesn't work I will explain later how I get the solution, I think it will helps you to solve the problem.

ncardoso
Fluorite | Level 6

In step 2 you can also delete your schedule in SAS and create a new one instead of changing the vbs.

Choosing this step is no longer necessary to change the script, SAS will create a new VBS script and change your process flow name for you in the script, it's a good option for those who are not comfortable with VBS. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation