BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm not new to EG, but new to connecting to remote servers.  I'm also unfamiliar with the SAS Server environment which might be part of my problem.  I'm tryiing to connect EG to a SAS Server by setting up a metadata profile on EG.  Each connection attempt returns an error message "Not enough storage is available to complete this operation".  I've double checked the machine name, port number, and auth credentials and they seem sound.

I'm not clear on a basic server concept.  If you have a functioning SAS server that you can access with SASStudio and rsubmits, does that imply you have a SAS MetaData Server?  Is this part of the issue?

I'm running EG v 7.13 and a current version of the server (specific not know).  I've tried using SAS Integration Technologies Configuration Wizard with the same results.  Attached is a 2-page Word doc with the detailed message.

Thanks,

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I think the biggest benefit of connecting directly to remote servers (rather than rsubmit) is the direct access to data and results.  For example, in EG's Servers view and file open dialog, you'll have direct access to the libraries, data, and files on the remote server.  Whereas, if you are using rsubmit, you'll only see your Local server and the libraries, data, and files on it.  Also, when you run code directly against a remote server, the results are seamlessly sent back to EG.  I believe with rsubmit more work is needed to get the results back.

You can certainly use rsubmit, but there is added convenience connecting directly to remote servers.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Gary,

The message you see is known in Windows and this is what the Tech Network site says:

Do one of the following, then retry the operation: (1) reduce the number of running programs; (2) remove unwanted files from the disk the paging file is on and restart the system; (3) check the paging file disk for an I/O error; or (4) install additional memory in your system.

The fact that you have SAS/Studio running does not confirm the availability or use of a metadata server. It could be a local server running. Your local SAS administrator should be able to tell you all about what's available to you and how to reach it. There should be no guesswork here.

Hope this helps,

- Jan.

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, Jan. I'll take your suggestion and look further in this direction.
Gary
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

">If you have a functioning SAS server that you can access with SASStudio and rsubmits, does that imply you have a SAS MetaData Server?"

No, it does not.  Perhaps you do not have a SAS Metadata Server running and that the connection information you provided in the EG profile was to your remote SAS Workspace Server, rather than a metadata server?  Admins typically use SAS Management Console (SMC) to login to and manage the metadata in a SAS Metadata Server.  If you can't login to it from SMC, it's probably not a metadata server.

If you have a Local SAS server, you can rsubmit to it from EG to submit (indirectly) to your remote server.  Otherwise, to submit directly to your remote server from EG, you will need to define an EG profile with the host and port to a running SAS Metadata Server, which should contain a server definition to your remote SAS Workspace Server.

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, Casey! I think this is the problem. Can you help me understand why I wouldn't just want to rsubmit? In other words, what is the advantage of connecting thru the Metadata Server?

Thanks,

Gary

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

I think the biggest benefit of connecting directly to remote servers (rather than rsubmit) is the direct access to data and results.  For example, in EG's Servers view and file open dialog, you'll have direct access to the libraries, data, and files on the remote server.  Whereas, if you are using rsubmit, you'll only see your Local server and the libraries, data, and files on it.  Also, when you run code directly against a remote server, the results are seamlessly sent back to EG.  I believe with rsubmit more work is needed to get the results back.

You can certainly use rsubmit, but there is added convenience connecting directly to remote servers.

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, Casey. This along with your previous reply are exactly the information I was looking for.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

A few years ago I supported an environment where a large number of EG used the direct connections from EG to a number of servers, both SAS and database. Of course, a few people were accustomed to the old rsubmit environment, and insisted on continuing to use it.

The direct connections are much easier to use, and much more functional. I wouldn't consider using rsubmit if I had the choice.

Tom

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for your feedback, Tom. I'm encouraging our tech group to setup the required MetaData Server so that we can use the direct connections.

Gary

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Just so you are aware SAS/CONNECT and RSUBMIT legacy technology has been re-purposed for SAS enviroments where there are multiple SAS App servers and / or different SAS versions running. So it is now enjoying a second lease of life, particularly with SAS VA and SAS Viya.

gphunt
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks for the update, SASKiwi. I am trying RSubmit today in a new project and will also try SAS/Connect. I want to get a solid understanding of the advantages of RSUBMIT vs SAS/CONNECT vs EG Server Profiles for connecting EG to Linux Server. Any comparison papers anyone knows of would be immensely helpful.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I've used both extensively and the EG connection profile is great if you are only connecting to one SAS App server at a time. However if your SAS jobs need to do processing on multiple SAS App servers seamlessly (not GRID-type processing), then you can't do this via a single EG connection. This is where SAS/CONNECT provides the glue to spread your processing between the various SAS App servers.

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

@SASKiwi is correct...  if you want to use multiple workspace servers from the *same* program, SAS/CONNECT is the way to go.  However, you can also leverage multiple workspace servers using an EG connection profile by associating different workspace servers to different program nodes.  This does mean you have to breakup your program into separate program nodes (maintain as a process flow rather than a single program file), depending on which parts you want to run on different servers.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation