BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BRKS
Quartz | Level 8

Hi all,

When I was using PC SAS, and I got the options for a data table, I could see the column names, and the column properties like I do now in Enterprise Guide.  

The one thing that seems to be missing in Enterprise Guide is the record count property for the table itself.

Is that something that we could add?

Thanks so much for letting us make suggestions!

Barb

P.S.  I get to this by opening up the "Servers" list on the left pane of Enterprise Guide, then to "Librairies", then to the libname I am using, and then open that to see the list of tables.  Then I right click on the table name, and choose "properties".  I can't remember if PC SAS put the record count on the "general" tab or another one.  But I know I could get to that information in PC SAS.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Barb,

Thank you for your suggestion!  We agree, this would be useful.

While it is likely a release or two away, we are planning on overhauling the properties dialogs in a future release to surface all the properties you can find in the server dictionary tables (ex. sashelp.vtable), which includes the record count.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Ask and ye shall receive (sort of). With the data open in the data viewer, left click on the slider on the right. You'll see a flyover of a "1 of 999,999" kind.

Tom

BRKS
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks, Tom!! That is super helpful! 🙂
CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Barb,

Thank you for your suggestion!  We agree, this would be useful.

While it is likely a release or two away, we are planning on overhauling the properties dialogs in a future release to surface all the properties you can find in the server dictionary tables (ex. sashelp.vtable), which includes the record count.

Casey

BRKS
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks so much, Casey!!

That is fantastic news!

I don't mind waiting for a good thing!  🙂

Barb

BRKS
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Casey,

Any update on this?

It would make my life easier if I could go into the servers list, and be able to right click on a table name, choose 'properties' and see the record count.

Right now all I can see is information that adds no value for me (table name, type: Data Set, description, server, library, indexed and read only).  But I would use the record count almost daily in order to make sure that my processes are working as I expected them to.

Thanks so much,

Barb

Technolero
Pyrite | Level 9

Why don't you just create an EG project with a program that reads the dictionary tables? That would be a lot more efficient than right-clicking and choosing properties for a number of data sets in a library. It's as simple as:

proc sql ;
create view
sashelp.vtable as select *
from dictionary.tables ;
quit ;
BRKS
Quartz | Level 8
Very Elegant!

Thank you so much, Technolero!

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

Yes, this has been improved in EG 8.1.  When the Show full details when viewing SAS Libraries in File Dialog details view option (in EG's Tools->Options->General) is checked (off by default), if you right-click a table in the Servers pane and select Properties you will see the row count, along with other detailed info.  For example:

dataPropertiesWithDetails.png

Additionally, when that option is on, EG's file open dialog will show the row counts along with other info in the Details view.  For example:

detailsInFod.png

(This feature (the extra details in the FOD) has existed for many EG releases, but the extra details in the data set properties dialog from the Servers pane is new to EG 8.1.)

Note: The option is off by default only because it can take slightly longer to query for the additional detailed info.

Of course, alternatively, you can always submit SAS code to retrieve the record count (query the sashelp.vtable dictionary table as @Technolero showed or run proc contents on the desired data).

Casey

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation