BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PadraigODea
Fluorite | Level 6

This is easy but I am struggling with it.

Field t1.TrnDt is a date but the following syntax gives an error.  I am try to create a new computed column.  What's wrong with this?

CASE  WHEN   t1.TrnDt >  "01/01/2011" THEN "Late"  ELSE  "Early"   END

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

SAS requires literal dates in the form of ddMONyy or ddMONyyyy, in quotes and followed by D to indicate date

So 

CASE  WHEN   t1.TrnDt >  '01Jan2011'd ....

You can use '1Jan2011'd but I generally use the 01Jan so I know I didn't actually mean 10Jan and just missed a digit.

There are similar rules for Time or DATETIME literals.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

SAS requires literal dates in the form of ddMONyy or ddMONyyyy, in quotes and followed by D to indicate date

So 

CASE  WHEN   t1.TrnDt >  '01Jan2011'd ....

You can use '1Jan2011'd but I generally use the 01Jan so I know I didn't actually mean 10Jan and just missed a digit.

There are similar rules for Time or DATETIME literals.

PadraigODea
Fluorite | Level 6

Easy when you know how !!  Thanks again.

PadraigODea
Fluorite | Level 6

Aaagh!  I spoke too soon.

The following date (cut and pasted from SAS)

t1.TrnDt = 12JUN2007:00:00:00.000

The above date gives an "After" result to the following calculated field;

CASE WHEN  t1.TrnDt >=  '01Jan2011'd      THEN "After" ELSE  "Before" END

But surely 2007 is BEFORE 2011 ???   Why does my case statement fail??

ballardw
Super User

The value 12JUN2007:00:00:00.000 is a DATETIME value. SAS datetimes are counts of seconds and SAS dates are counts of days.

So either use something like "12JUN2007:00:00:00"DT OR compare the datetpart of the value to literal, which would probably be your intention:

CASE WHEN  datepart(t1.TrnDt)  >=  '01Jan2011'd      

one of my pet peeves are programmers that call datetime values dates or follow what seems to be a Microslop approach of defaulting things to datetime when you actually want dates.

PadraigODea
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks - That's it. Much appreciated.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation