BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jan_t_lagen
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm trying to transition from SAS BASE to SAS EG and I'm having trouble running code written for BASE on EG. Specifically, how to run anything locally. I have searched for any quick fix to this problem but I can't seem to find one. So my first question is: is there no way to easily change between running local and on the SASApp (like with rsubmit)?

To clarify, I am able to switch between the two by clicking on them at "Selected Server" but surely there is a way to switch between them without having to click?

Further, even if i could to this i don't know how to save something on the server after the local steps are done. I might be able to figure out how to do that with the guides available but my second question is: is there a VERY thorough guide on how to do this (save from local to remote)?  For example how do i find my remote session ID?

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

SAS Base is locally installed software.  Enterprise Guide is sever based software, the two are different.  With EG you run things on the server, not locally.  Afraid that is the same with almost all software nowadays, very little is locally installed.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

It might help if you could describe what you're trying to run locally, and why.

I'd suggest you just take some time and adapt to the EG environment, which is that the SAS code runs on a remote server. It works quite well.

Tom

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you need some parts of a single process to run on a specific server then you should use SAS/Connect. So if the program needs to run a block of code on server B then wrap that in RSUBMIT/ENDRSUBMIT block that is directed to a connection made to server B.  Then the overall program it will run the same whether you started it on server A or server B.

ballardw
Super User

If you are using a server and attempting to access your local hard drive for part of the process such as %include as your "local code" the path that the server sees when executing will be based on what the server sees. So the "local code" may need to be somewhere that the server can read which is almost certainly not your hard drive. Move the code to a location the server sees or set up shares or such so that the server can read off of your hard drive. And every path referenced in the code will need similar adjustments.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As you have discovered, programs run in EG can only run on one SAS server at a time. You can't run parts of your program on different servers unless you have SAS/CONNECT installed on all of them.

If you wish to mix local SAS server and remote SAS server processing in the same EG program, then you could start by connecting to your local server (SAS on your PC) from EG, then SIGNON from there to your remote SAS server.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation