BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DaveShea
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I am using SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 Update 2 (8.3.2.140) (64-Bit) on two different machines, right next to each other. One is running on Windows 10 (SAS 9.4M7) and one on Windows 7 Pro (SAS 9.4M6).

When I run some code in a SAS Code Node, the Log Summary stays collapsed under Windows 7 but in Windows 10 it is expanded by default. I am prepared to believe that in the Windows 7 installation, which is older by a few months, I have set some option that keeps the Log Summary collapsed until I explicitly want it. I normally have no use for the expanded Log Summary as I always look at the SASLOG directly.

If I have set some option, moons ago, I have forgotten what it is. In this case, does anyone know what this option might be ?

I cannot believe that the different behaviour I am seeing is due to the different OS.

When I open a brand new project under Windows 7 Pro and run this bit of test code:

Data CARS;
 Set SASHELP.CARS;

RightNow=DateTime();

Format RightNow E8601DT.;
Run;

the Log Summary is nicely collapsed by default and does not hog up a load of vertical screen space, as shown in this screenshot:

SAS Enterprise Guide 83 2021-07-04A.png

However, when I run the same code on the Windows 10 machine, the Log Summary is expanded and I always need to collapse it to get it how I like it, as in this screenshot:

SAS Enterprise Guide 83 2021-07-04B.png

Does anyone have any clues as to why I am seeing different behaviour here, and how I can tell Enterprise Guide to always keep the Log Summary collapsed until I expend it ?

Cheers,

Downunder Dave
New Zealand

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DaveShea
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Angie,

As you can tell from my original post, that Log Summary pane drove me batty too.  I found the following method works for me on SAS Enterprise guide 8.3

This method involves resizing the Log Summary pane by clicking on the horizontal line separating the bottom on the Log Summary pane from the actual Log window itself. I have shown a screenshot with some annotations below. You have to do two things to get this to work:

1) Ensure that the arrow-head/pin-head button on the far right of the Log Summary pane is in the UP arrow position. The button has three states that it just cycles round as you click on it, UP, DOWN and PIN-HEAD. IMPORTANT: Without doing this first step you will probably not be able to do the next step.

2) Now move your mouse pointer onto the horizontal line marking the bottom border of the Log Summary and find that sweet-spot where your mouse pointer turns to the double-headed arrow (pointing up/down). You will need a bit of patience to get the right location. Once you have that double-headed arrow, hold down your left mouse key and you will find that you can drag the horizontal line up or down to re-size the Log Summary.

As I do not typically use the Log Summary at all, when I am working at a new SAS site, I usually re-size the Log Summary on Day #1, so that only the three buttons labelled [Errors], [Warnings] and [Notes] are visible. These are handy indicators of how many of each type of Log entry a piece of code has generated and also the two arrows immediately to the right of the [Notes] button act as a Go To the Next <ERROR|WARNING|NOTE> in the SASLOG. This feature is widely overlooked and is a real beauty.

2023-07-11_21h47_51.png

The Log Summary is not all bad!

You may wish to experiment with what that little three-state button on the far right of the Log Summary pane can do for you before you re-size the Log Summary as you may find that just using that button gives you what you need. Of course, if you relent and want a nice bit log Summary panel again, just grab that horizontal line and drag it downwards.

I hope that the above helps, good luck.

Downunder Dave

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
alexsunny123
Calcite | Level 5
thanks my issue has been fixed.
angie16
Obsidian | Level 7

How did you get the log summary to stay collapsed?

angie16
Obsidian | Level 7

Could someone please explain how to keep the log summary collapsed?   Every time I run code, it is expanded and does not retain the "collapsed view" after I hit the collapse arrow on the right.

DaveShea
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Angie,

As you can tell from my original post, that Log Summary pane drove me batty too.  I found the following method works for me on SAS Enterprise guide 8.3

This method involves resizing the Log Summary pane by clicking on the horizontal line separating the bottom on the Log Summary pane from the actual Log window itself. I have shown a screenshot with some annotations below. You have to do two things to get this to work:

1) Ensure that the arrow-head/pin-head button on the far right of the Log Summary pane is in the UP arrow position. The button has three states that it just cycles round as you click on it, UP, DOWN and PIN-HEAD. IMPORTANT: Without doing this first step you will probably not be able to do the next step.

2) Now move your mouse pointer onto the horizontal line marking the bottom border of the Log Summary and find that sweet-spot where your mouse pointer turns to the double-headed arrow (pointing up/down). You will need a bit of patience to get the right location. Once you have that double-headed arrow, hold down your left mouse key and you will find that you can drag the horizontal line up or down to re-size the Log Summary.

As I do not typically use the Log Summary at all, when I am working at a new SAS site, I usually re-size the Log Summary on Day #1, so that only the three buttons labelled [Errors], [Warnings] and [Notes] are visible. These are handy indicators of how many of each type of Log entry a piece of code has generated and also the two arrows immediately to the right of the [Notes] button act as a Go To the Next <ERROR|WARNING|NOTE> in the SASLOG. This feature is widely overlooked and is a real beauty.

2023-07-11_21h47_51.png

The Log Summary is not all bad!

You may wish to experiment with what that little three-state button on the far right of the Log Summary pane can do for you before you re-size the Log Summary as you may find that just using that button gives you what you need. Of course, if you relent and want a nice bit log Summary panel again, just grab that horizontal line and drag it downwards.

I hope that the above helps, good luck.

Downunder Dave

angie16
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you so much. I have no idea why I couldn't follow your instructions originally. Everything working beautifully now.
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Would like to have an option to auto-collapse the log summary if nothing is displayed. I uncheck "Notes" normally. In general some more options to customise the ui would be nice.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation