BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GuillermoPH
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

I'm trying to calculate the difference between two dates but i don't want to take into account Sundays, how can this be done?

eg. Say i'm trying to find the days between March, 2nd and March, 9th; the output should be '6'.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Greets,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Please see:

data example;
   days = intck('weekday1W','02MAR2017'd,'09MAR2017'd);
run;

the weekday1w interval with the intck function considers a week to be six days with Sunday as a weekend day.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
art297
Opal | Level 21

Note: The following is really @ballardw's suggestion, but the system wouldn't let me delete my incorrect post. I hadn't read the request sufficiently and didn't realize that only Sundays were to be excluded. Art T

Use the INTCK function. But if you want 6 days given your example, you'll have to add 1. e.g.:

data have;
  informat date1 date2 date9.;
  input date1 date2;
  dif=INTCK('WEEKDAY1W',date1,date2,'C');
  cards;
02mar2017 09mar2017
24feb2017 09mar2017 
;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

I thought about this, but what about saturdays?

Astounding
PROC Star

There's probably a short way, but here's the long way.

data want;

set have;

n_days = 0;

do i=date1 to date2;

if weekday(i) ne 1 then n_days + 1;

end;

if weekday(date1) > 1 or weekday(date2) > 1 then n_days = n_days - 1;

run;

There are various ways to count, depending on whether or not the starting date is a Sunday or the ending date is a Sunday.  The last line in the program is just one way to account for that.  You may want to set up your own rules.

collinelliot
Barite | Level 11

I don't know if there's a slicker/more efficient solution, but this is what I'd do. Adjust the end value if you want it to be inclusive of that date. I had to put the -1 to get your desired result.

data want;
    start = '02MAR2017'd;
    end = '09MAR2017'd;
    do i = start to end -1;
        all_cnt + 1;
        non_sunday_cnt + (weekday(i) ne 7);
    end;
run;
ballardw
Super User

Please see:

data example;
   days = intck('weekday1W','02MAR2017'd,'09MAR2017'd);
run;

the weekday1w interval with the intck function considers a week to be six days with Sunday as a weekend day.

art297
Opal | Level 21

A nice list of the available intervals that can be used with the intck function can be found at: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrdict/64316/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a003065889.htm

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation