BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
L5ive
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Guys,

im new with SAS Enterprise so my terminologies might be a little different from yours. i have an ODBC connection to oracle data base. and when i start a new session the library is connected and i can execute any code. however if i left a session open for few hours and try to use it again i get the following Error:

ERROR: CLI prepare error: Unable to retrieve error message.

i will provide you with the necessary info however please guide me how to to get since im not the administrator of the server.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The database connection is likely timing out because of the lack of activity. The timeout setting could in the Oracle database, or it could be the consequence of a SAS server firewall port rule setting. There is no default timeout setting at the SAS end.

I suggest you talk to your SAS administrator about getting this behaviour changed. There is no setting at your end that you can apply to fix this. I'm assuming here that the EG Oracle data connection is not created by you with a LIBNAME statement.   

L5ive
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SASKiwi,

thank you for your reply. i checked with the administrator and they said they have removed the time limit (not sure if they doing it right though).

however the issue persists. in another operation connected to the same DB they use the below code to reconnect to the library

libname KSACT oracle user=WORK pass=TEST path=GMACT schema=work;

however when i only know the libname and i don't know what to write in the rest of the fields (User, Pass,Path & Schema)

could you guide me how to acquire these info from SAS or if their a similar approach to this code to reconnect to the libname.

Thank you,

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

"however when i only know the libname and i don't know what to write in the rest of the fields (User, Pass,Path & Schema) could you guide me how to acquire these info from SAS or if their a similar approach to this code to reconnect to the libname."
The details for user, password and schema will be provided by your team. You should ask your SAS Admin ? Manager to provide them

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@L5ive - Please refer to @Sajid01 's response to answer your questions. Most likely your SAS administrator would have tested database connections in LIBNAMEs before defining them in SAS metadata. You should also pass on the connection timeout problem to your administrator as it is really their responsibility to sort out. I also recommend adding the DEFER = YES option to all external database connections. This option delays connecting to the database until it is actually used so it will help reduce timeouts.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation