BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jcb267
Calcite | Level 5

Hi -

I have a proc sgl statement in an EG program that includes two dates:

selectdatepart (mcl.ServiceDateFrom) as IncurredDt format mmddyy10.

I need to convert that from a SAS date into a number formatted as YYYYMMDD but I cant figure out how.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks!!

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Use PUT() and INPUT().

select

input(put(datepart(mcl.ServiceDateFrom),yymmddn8.),8.) as IncurredDt format=8.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User

Here's an oldie:

I haven't checked it so you may need to tweak the number of zeroes in a particular location.

Year(incurred_dt)*10000+month(incurred_dt)*100+day(incurred_dt)

Also, I generally don't recommend doing this because its then more difficult to do date calculations such as durations.

jcb267
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, Reeza.

I agree with you but my boss wants it that way!!!

John

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Use PUT() and INPUT().

select

input(put(datepart(mcl.ServiceDateFrom),yymmddn8.),8.) as IncurredDt format=8.

jcb267
Calcite | Level 5

Wow, Tom.  Thank you for that, that looks complicated!  I an new to SAS but love it so far.........

jcb267
Calcite | Level 5

Another question, Tom and Patrick.....

Does using the datepart() function mean that the date is still formatted like a date or is it a number?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!!

John

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS has only two data types. Floating Point numbers and fixed length character strings.

To implement date, time and datetime values SAS just defined a convention for what the numbers mean and build formats, informats and functions that can deal with those floating point numbers and interpret them properly.

For dates SAS stores the number of days since 1/1/1960.

For time SAS stores the number of seconds since midnight.

For datetime SAS stores the number of seconds since 1/1/1960.

To convert from datetime to date you really just need to divide by one days worth of seconds (24*60*60) and take the integer part.  That is what the DATEPART() function does for you.

Formats are SAS's method for controlling how to display the values.  There are various formats related to date, time and datetime.

Informats are SAS's method for converting displayed values into the corresponding stored value.

So in the program I used DATEPART() to convert your datetime value into just a date and use the PUT() function to apply the YYMMDDn8. format to display the value as an 8 digit string.  I then used the INPUT() function to read that 8 digit string as a regular number.

jcb267
Calcite | Level 5

That is a great explanation, Tom.  Thank you very much.

John

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

And the only bit different to what Tom did was me using format b8601dn8. which returns the same string than YYMMDDn8. but take as SAS datetime value as input so the conversion from a SAS datetime value to a SAS date value using "datepart()" is no more necessary.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Same as Tom's but using a format which returns the "yyyymmdd" string directly from a datetime value without the need to use the datepart() function.

select

input(put(mcl.ServiceDateFrom,b8601dn8.),8.) as IncurredDt format=8.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 4 in conversation