BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

I'm new to EG and have the following question: I have a windows PC with SAS EG and no local SAS.

And I have a linux machine with SAS 9.4.

Is it possible to use SAS EG as a client to the remote SAS on the linux machine?

How can I do that connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JMS  - EG 8.2 has the option to avoid using  a SAS metadata server and directly logon to a SAS Workspace server. I suspect this is the functionality you need.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Typically,

EG (Client App) would connect to Server Side SAS via SAS Metadata Server instance running of a Server.

If you and your Organization don't have SAS Metadata Server licensed, then you can connect via SAS/CONNECT if that module is licensed on the Server, and you have a SAS Connect Spawner instance running on the Linux Server.

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

Ahmed I have no spawner running. I could start it but I have not root rights and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to start programs listening on a port. I would prefer  to start SAS by connecting with ssh.

If it works with the spawner, what is the next step? Specify target ip&port in EG?

What if it is not possible to use a spawner, will it work with ssh?

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@JMS 

Couple of things to keep in mind

• As far as I know, ssh will not work!
  • Only SAS/CONNECT Spawner and/or SAS Object Spawner are your options to connect to Remote SAS server in Enterprise Guide.

One other alternative, which depends on your Linux SAS Installation, Check if your organization has SAS Studio Basic installed. This would be your best choice.

Ahmed   

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@JMS 

If and when you get the SAS/connect spawner running, then in EG you would do something like this in a program entry

%let server = &p_linuxSrvr 7541;  *<---- Replace the Port (7541) if different value being used by the Connect spawner;
options comamid=tcp;
signon server user="&p_user" password="&p_PASSWORD";

LIBNAME r_work slibref=work server=server;

Rsubmit;
   /* SAS statement(s) */
EndRsubmit;

/* When you are done */
signoff;

You'll need to replace &p_xxxx place holder variables with your actual values.

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

Ahmed, I think your program only works if there is a local SAS, which I don't have.

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

In this case, it looks like your only option is using connection profile from within EG, similar to what @Patrick had illustrated with his attached screenshot.

You'll need to contact your SAS Administrator and

• Request to be added/Registered in the SAS Metadata Server
  • Request to be setup with the required authorizations to Folders, Data, Apps, and App Servers within the Metadata Server
  • Get the connection details (Server Name, Port)

Ahmed

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS EG is a client. You can use SAS installed locally as your server but normally SAS is installed on a remote machine. 

The SAS Metadata server is part of the foundation package and you will always have it licensed. And it will always be up and running on a Server instance. That's what you need to connect to SAS even if using SAS/Connect (which allows to connect SAS/Servers not Client/Server).

You just need to be set-up on the SAS Server (SAS Metadata identity and OS account) and then as a one time setup in your EG client add the connection details (SAS Metadata Server name and port, user and credentials).

Under Tools/Connection

Patrick_0-1593026347210.png

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Hi Patrick,
Minor correction regarding your statement
"The SAS Metadata server is part of the foundation package and you will always have it licensed. And it will always be up and running on a Server instance. That's what you need to connect to SAS even if using SAS/Connect (which allows to connect SAS/Servers not Client/Server)."

That might be true for your software bundle, but it is not true at the organization I work for. My team is responsible for Installing and Configuring SAS software on Linux & Windows Servers, and the SAS Foundation bundle we install does not contain Metadata Server component!
SAS Metadata Server is part of the SAS® 9.x Intelligence Platform, rather than SAS Foundation. I think it's all depends on how the SAS software bundle and license were contracted/forged between SAS Institute and the customer.

Something to keep in mind, thanks,
Ahmed
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@AhmedAl_Attar - AFAIK, it is the customer's choice to "metadata server-enable" SAS or not. SAS's product bundles don't explicitly specify this one way or the other although this option is really only available for Foundation SAS. Most non-Foundation SAS products require a metadata server.  

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

I started the spawner with "cntspawn -service 9999 -cleartext -debug".

In EG, I defined a server pointing to the spawner at port 9999. When I log in from EG, it does not work. The spawner logs the login request, but brings strange errors like "connection reset by peer".

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@JMS 

As it was mentioned before, without local SAS instance, your EG can only connect via SAS Metadata server. Getting the Spawner started is not enough.

Check these two, somewhat dated, papers to give you a good understanding on what's we have been trying to elaborate about the SAS Intelligence Platform. 

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings11/363-2011.pdf

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings/pdfs/sgf2008/051-2008.pdf 

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

JMS
Obsidian | Level 7 JMS
Obsidian | Level 7

@AhmedAl_Attar wrote:
Here is yet another paper
https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings13/406-2013.pdf

Thank you Ahmed, this one is very good!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JMS  - EG 8.2 has the option to avoid using  a SAS metadata server and directly logon to a SAS Workspace server. I suspect this is the functionality you need.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation