BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Vhodnoylogin
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi.

There's a task: need to create Workflows from many different sources, included SAS, to put data into HDFS. So, there's no problem to connect with other sources (Oracle, MySQL, etc).

But there's an issue with SAS: i don't know how to connect to this system. Where's can i get JDBC. And how create WF for sqoop with source at sas?

1. Need any way to get data (and metadata - like column types) from SAS. Maybe, Python.

2. Way to connect from sqoop

First point is more important when second one. Pleace, help me.

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

SAS provides an interface to Hadoop:

https://www.sas.com/en_be/software/access-interface-hadoop.html

Its very hard to suggest anything else without any knowledge of the whole process.  Datasets are just files, so if you know the file structure you could extract data, or convert to CSV and add that way, there are loads of options.  Don't know this sqoop, perhaps try asking on its forums how to import files?

Vhodnoylogin
Fluorite | Level 6

Its very hard to suggest anything else without any knowledge of the whole process. 

I see it like (select * from DDS_SRG2.my_table) to download data and then... U may do anything with it. But first - download thim.

Datasets are just files

And where're they stored? If i know socket (host:port) and logical dislocation (DDS_SRG2/my_table) how to get file? Even without any SQL. 

Don't know this sqoop, perhaps try asking on its forums how to import files?

There's no issue to make import. Issue to take data in SAS from outside.

Vhodnoylogin
Fluorite | Level 6

SAS provides an interface to Hadoop: https://www.sas.com/en_be/software/access-interface-hadoop.html

What is it? It's an app or what?

Need download and install? I havn't such premissions at my work station.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Its very hard to suggest anything else without any knowledge of the whole process. 

I see it like (select * from DDS_SRG2.my_table) to download data and then... U may do anything with it. But first - download thim.

-- I have no idea what you are talking about.  SAS datasets are not an SQL database, they are files stored on a network drive or locally.

Datasets are just files

And where're they stored? If i know socket (hostSmiley Tongueort) and logical dislocation (DDS_SRG2/my_table) how to get file? Even without any SQL. 

-- Sorry, what does any of that mean?  SAS datasets are stored on a network drive or locally.  Depends on your setup of which you have told us nothing.  Speak to your SAS people and they should be able to tell you where the data is stored.

Don't know this sqoop, perhaps try asking on its forums how to import files?

There's no issue to make import. Issue to take data in SAS from outside.

-- SAS datasets are just files.  You can use the SAS system to export the data to multiple file types.  It depends what you need.

SAS provides an interface to Hadoop: https://www.sas.com/en_be/software/access-interface-hadoop.html

What is it? It's an app or what?

Need download and install? I havn't such premissions at my work station.

--  Its an additional component of the SAS system.  If you do not know that, then your first point of call should be with the SAS people at your company, they will be able to show you the system, and how to get data in/out.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Vhodnoylogin 

SAS is not a dbms but you need like for a dbms a (SAS) Server licensed, installed, running and accessible which serves you the data. SAS data is stored in SAS propriatery files on disk.

The available options how to access SAS files with 3rd party tools are listed here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Enterprise-Guide/Third-Party-BI-Tools-supporting-SAS/m-p/434828/h...

Alternatively you let SAS write the data to Hadoop. For this you need also the SAS Access Interface to Hadoop licensed. If taking such an approach you would call a SAS process (a program) from a 3rd party tool and then let SAS do the work (so push and not pull). I would expect this option to perform better as it leverages the SAS Access to Hadoop interface.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

It sounds like yo are not an experienced SAS user.

Thee are SAS JDBC drivers available for download, I suggest that you consult support.sas.com to under how to configure it. By using that, then SAS looks like a database with tables.

But I also strongly advise to talk to your SAS admin/power use/whatever to elaborate how to make SAS data available to you.

The SAS interface to Hadoop that @RW9 speaks about is mainly for SAS to push data and processing to Hadoop, so perhaps not what you are looking for?

Nevertheless you can expor data directly to hdfs file system (using a FILENAME engine for Hadoop, doesn't require SAS/ACCESS to Hadoop licence), and thn you could pick up it from Sqoop or whatever tool you want.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation