BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
emera86
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

In my company we are migrating from SAS base to SAS EG and we are willing to take advantage of some nice EG functionalities such as the Program History. I don't have any trouble with new projects/programs created with SAS EG from scratch but I have tried to open a program originally written in SAS base from SAS EG and the option "Commit" appears disabled. However, if I copy-paste the code from SAS base or from SAS EG itself it works nicely.

Any clues on what could be happening or how could I avoid it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MarkAllemang
SAS Employee

Hi @emera86,

If you close the program view for the newly embedded program and then reopen it, do the commit controls become enabled?

So in your screen shot example, click the X button that appear in the top right of the program pane, just under the Search Current Project box. Then double click on the Program_SASbase_embed again to redisplay it.

I see there is a problem in the application where the controls do not become enabled until the program pane is closed and reopened. Changing between the two programs is not sufficient. The program pane must be closed by clicking the X on the pane. 

Thank you,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi @emera86,

In order to use the SAS Enterprise Guide program history feature, your program must be embedded in the project or stored in a Git repository.  Embedded programs are programs that are stored inside the SAS Enterprise Guide project and can't be accessed when the project is closed - so when you copy code into the code editor, that creates an embedded program.  

The existing programs that you wrote in Base SAS and then opened in SAS Enterprise Guide are externally referenced programs.  If you use Git software to manage your source code, you can save a program to a Git repository and then commit changes and manage your program history from within SAS Enterprise Guide.  You can also choose to change how a program is stored by right-clicking the program in the project tree and selecting Properties. If the program is externally referenced, you can click Embed to save it as an embedded program that no longer references the external file.

You can read more about this in the SAS Enterprise Guide help.  In the help window, click the Index tab and type in program history.  The About topic will link you to all of the related help topics.

I hope that helps!

Jennifer

Catch the SAS Global Forum keynotes, announcements, and tech content!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

emera86
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @jennifert,

Thanks for very much your quick response. Your explanation makes a lot of sense, I had already read about it in the manual. However, the procedure you're suggesting doesn't seem to solve my problem.

When I open the program from SAS EG there is a little arrow in the left bottom corner of the program icon that appears in the project tree meaning that it is a shortcut to the original Base SAS program exactly as you were describing (Commit and History appear disabled). I have followed the steps that you commented on how to embed this program into the SAS EG project and saved that new project. After that, the little arrow of the icon has dissapeared showing that the code is now embedded but the Commit and History options still appear disabled.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the problem. Please let me know if I can provide any more info that could be useful in order to fix it.

I'm working with SAS EG v 7.1 HF1 (7.100.0.2002) (64-bit)

Thanks for your help!

error_commit_disabled.PNG
MarkAllemang
SAS Employee

Hi @emera86,

If you close the program view for the newly embedded program and then reopen it, do the commit controls become enabled?

So in your screen shot example, click the X button that appear in the top right of the program pane, just under the Search Current Project box. Then double click on the Program_SASbase_embed again to redisplay it.

I see there is a problem in the application where the controls do not become enabled until the program pane is closed and reopened. Changing between the two programs is not sufficient. The program pane must be closed by clicking the X on the pane. 

Thank you,

Mark

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation