BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASDi
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am creating an EG template, to be used by many people, and I want it set up to include a save as to a new folder location, that they have specified through prompts and the folder is already being created within the program.  I don't want the template to be overwritten and I am trying to make it easy for the people who will run this.  So after they have provided the required parameters I want to save the project to the new location without them having to remember to select save as.

I've googled to try and find a solution but no luck.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I've looked a vbscripts but I want something that can be run within an EG program.

I am running SAS EG 6.1 in a Unix environment.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I don't think you can save an EG project programmatically, but perhaps the keyboard shortcut for the SAVE dialog may help (Ctrl S).

CaseySmith
SAS Employee

The EG automation interface (ex. VBScript) does support Save and SaveAs for EG projects, but as you noted, this would not solve your problem if you wish to SaveAs the project (aka. template) the user currently has open.  I can't think of an easy solution other than making your template EG project file read-only and instructing users to manually SaveAs.  There isn't a built-in way to Save/SaveAs a project by running something in said project.

If you really want an automated solution and willing to get dirty, I bet you could accomplish with a "Save Current Project As" custom task that you could add as a final step in your process flow.  However, you'd have to hook into EG's non-public APIs to perform the SaveAs on the project (without prompting).  And you'd have to deploy the custom task to your users' EG installations (whoever was going to use the template project, containing a reference to the custom task).  While possible, I suspect this would be more trouble than just instructing users to manually SaveAs.

Casey

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

SASDi
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Casey, have gone with the read only option and split some of the steps requiring prompts so that the process of what to run flows better.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation