BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have been developing macros in a code node which I then turned into a Stored Process. This creates a direct link (not dashed link) between the Code and the SP.
When you change the code and then try to run the SP...the SP says essentially"There is a diffence between the code on the server (i.e. in the SP) versus the code in the EG project code node". Then you can choose to which code you want to use. Typically, I update from the EG code node because that is what I'm using for development.

I like this feature. A few days ago for some reason the code node and SP node got disconnected (it was defininately something I did...). I can't figure a way to relink them (linking them creates a dashed link which doesn't provide the feature I described.

Can I recreate that direct link?

I can do it if I recreate the SP but I have about 20 params and don't want to recreate them.

EG 1.3.1 on a Windows server
I am unable to upgrade to 4.2.
BI Suite

TIA
Matthew
5 REPLIES 5
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager
Matthew,

I don't think you can recreate this direct link, unfortunately. But I'll have our stored process expert take a look. He'll also be interested that you find the feature useful.

Chris
It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Well I thought I was going to have to tell you that there wasn't a way to restore the link, but then I remembered a features that was in 4.1 (removed from 4.2 due to changes with the prompting model and source code size concerns).

Here's what you do. Open your existing stored process in your existing project. On the "SAS Code" click the "Include code for" button then make sure that the "Stored process definition" option is checked (if not check it, by selecting it). Now on the bottom left of the Stored Process Manager panel press the view code icon. Select all the code and copy it. Near the bottom this should have a section that looks something like this:
* tVVbb5swFP4rFi/dHgiXkNtEkDKStNHWNYK2T5UmB04ia4CZbbrk38/mUiBNo70sDwnn9n
* 2fjw8nbigog3jLaASce+4dyYT8uQeBYyxwADnlRKacNrG3MMuPNViMgpXl+HeucTHP/U4P
* JMJJCOwVmBcuwntMMqSj2o8qTlSToirPNfplfZTbp83Ss0azobUaWvp4PFnrlrUc6dOp6e
* /ZXw==

Paste this code into a simple editor of your choice (MS notepad for example). Now close the project without saving anything.

Open a new empty EG project and select File->New->Code to get an empty code window. Select the text you placed in the editor above and paste it into the code window. Return to the process flow, right click the code icon and select "Create Stored Process". This wizard should have all the information (including parameters) from the previous stored process. I recommend that you save this stored process and it's source code under a different name, until you are happy with the operation of the new stored process and it's relationship with the copied code.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks for the info.

I know things have changed in 4.2 but the reason I find it useful is because of things I don't like about the SP task. The code window in SP is not a useful editor. Also, when you close the SP task it saves/replaces the .sas file but does not ask if you want to replace. I have lost code this way...

I don't have admin rights to the server to look at or rename the .sas file. Usually I increment a version number in my EG project before I make a major change. I can't do that to the .sas file...I don't have admin rights to the server to look at or copy/rename the .sas file.

With the code in the code window I know that it will be saved when I save the EG project. I've heard that the Code editor is better in 4.2...

Thanks for the quick response.

- Matthew
deleted_user
Not applicable
Indeed v4.2 has many changes (and v4.3 even more, especially with regards to the editor and the stored process wizard).

I'm not sure I completely understand your concerns. Are you saying that you don't care for the v4.2 changes with regard to the use of the editor in the SP wizard?

What I read is that in your installation the SAS source filenames are fixed (unchangable) on your SAS server so you use differently named EG project files on the client side to track/control versioning. In such a case you might want to consider writting a simple 'bat' file which zip compresses your egp file (under a unique name, perhaps a combination of the project name plus the current time) before starting EG. This would allow you to keep multiple copies of your project files that you could go back to, automatically created when you start EG (via the bat file).
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks Greg. I was editing my previous response while you were submitting yours. I'll give your suggestion a shot.

- Matthew

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation