BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

We're running SAS 9.4 on a linux server where pretty much all the users use enterprise guide to connect.

We have one particular enterprise guide project that is particularly efficient at filling up our work area on the server if people aren't paying attention.

Obviously the end goal will be to fix the process so it isn't so space hungry, but in the mean time I need a quick solution so the operational processes can run without filling up work or significant code changes.

The simplest idea I have so far would be to point the project at a different work directory so that if they do fill up the space it is only that user's session that goes down rather than every user on the server. However I am at a loss to work out how to do it since you can't change the work directory once the workspace session starts up.

Is there any way I could get enterprise guide to trigger a different system options config file specifically for this project/user?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Insert an Autoexec process flow into the project (your EG's should be configured to honor this). In that process flow, create a program that assigns a library called USER. SAS will redirect all single-level dataset names to this (instead of WORK) if it is found.

TimCampbell
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks Kurt,
There is already an auto exec flow so adding stuff in should be easy to try.
I’m guessing it won’t get around any issues if there are large tables to sort as the util folder will still end up in the sas work location?
Also what happens to the data when the session ends? Would the session closing kill the ‘user’ data too or would I need to code something in for that?
This isn’t data that needs keeping so clearing down automatically would be easiest.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This is one of the features of USER, it's not cleared when a session ends, so you need to do the housekeeping yourself.

But it is the easiest way to redirect all single-level datasets.

Your concern about the UTIL files is valid, though, because

Data files that SAS creates internally still go to the WORK library

(from an older (V8) documentation)

So you might consider to define a completely separate application server context, where the WORK and UTILLOC are physically separate from your normal locations, and use that for this single project. Or convert the project to a .sas file you can run in batch with a custom configuration.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I used to have to do this. You should be able to set up a sasv9.cfg file in one of the directories listed in the attached doc, and use the "work" and "utilloc" system options to redirect these files. It did take some messing around to get it working right, I'm sad to say.

Tom

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=hostunx&docsetTarget=p13flc1vsrqwr8n1vutzds8rp3t0.htm&docset... 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation