BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BrockJarvie
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I'm currently working on a problem that asks me to create a new variable from a variable of lender companies, called Lenderinto a new variable

called Lender_cleanI must change Lender to having the first letter of all the companies capitalized while keeping 'LLC' capitalized and removing all occurrences of ',LLC', 'NA'  'N/A' and 'N.A

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE WORK.QUERY_FOR_FORECLOSURES AS 
SELECT t1.APN,

t1.Lender, 

FROM WORK.FORECLOSURES t1;
QUIT;

Below is the current output data of Lender.

I'm trying to as much knowledge as I can over SAS/ProcSql functions as I can, so I'd appreciate any help on how I can do this.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

The basic function is Propcase to make each word with a single capital.

Why do you care about LLC when your second requirement is to remove it?

I would use TRANWRD to remove the LLC, NA, N/A and N.A prior to using Propcase though.

But your requirement is probably incomplete.

For example you have this as a value:

US Bank, N.A., as Trustee, c/o Select Portfolio Servicing

If you remove N.A then you have left over . from the N.A. . So your remove list is incomplete.

Second when you remove N.A. you will have

US Bank, , as Trustee, c/o Select Portfolio Servicing

So likely you need some additional rules regarding commas.

You capitalization rule, assuming we have applied a likely rule for commas, yields this using the PROPCASE function

US Bank, As Trustee, C/O Select Portfolio Servicing

The As looks a bit odd and the C/O another.

Maybe someone will come up with a good regular expression to fix this, I don't use them enough to help there. The approaches I would use a data step as there are likely to be enough conditionals that CASE statements get a bit clunky.

BrockJarvie
Obsidian | Level 7

I was wondering the same thing about LLC. I probably did a bad job of explaining it, but the question is just as unclear to me about it.  Here is the question: 

Clean the Lender variable so that it follows a standard format [e.g., only the first letter is uppercase per word, LLC remains uppercase (, LLC), NA, N/A, and N.A. are removed). Call this new variable Lender_clean.

ballardw
Super User

@BrockJarvie wrote:

I was wondering the same thing about LLC. I probably did a bad job of explaining it, but the question is just as unclear to me about it.  Here is the question: 

Clean the Lender variable so that it follows a standard format [e.g., only the first letter is uppercase per word, LLC remains uppercase (, LLC), NA, N/A, and N.A. are removed). Call this new variable Lender_clean.

Given that text I would 1) ask for clarification and 2) without any clarification available assume bad punctuation in the text and just remove the NA, not the LLC.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation