BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MartensS
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I just started using SAS Enterprise Guide. And i keep getting this error.

NOTE: Library ORION does not exist.

I do not understand what i am doing wrong here.

This is my program code:

libname orion 'D:\Documenten\My SAS Files\ECPRG1';

And as you can see in the image, the file path is correct.

Naamloos.png

Im most likely doing something stupid but i can't see it.

*edit* Is it possible he can only search for a direction on the SAS server? and not locally?

*edit2* Nvm, im using SAS On Demand which means i have to link to the file on the server, i was reading the wrong manual.

libname orion '/tutorials/eg/data/ecprg1';

Thanks in advance

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, If you are using SAS OnDemand for Professionals server, then the SAS Enterprise Guide client that you are using does NOT have any visibility of your local 😧 drive or C: drive to point to SAS datasets. The OnDemand server is a Unix server located in North Carolina.

If you are taking Programming 1 as an e-learning course, as indicated by your final LIBNAME statement:

Then this is the correct LIBNAME statement to point to the Programming 1 data that is already loaded on the server.

cynthia

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Astounding
PROC Star

For the future, one way to investigate would be to list out the locations of all your SAS data sets:

proc sql;

create table all_datasets as select * from dictionary.tables;

quit;

Good luck.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, If you are using SAS OnDemand for Professionals server, then the SAS Enterprise Guide client that you are using does NOT have any visibility of your local 😧 drive or C: drive to point to SAS datasets. The OnDemand server is a Unix server located in North Carolina.

If you are taking Programming 1 as an e-learning course, as indicated by your final LIBNAME statement:

Then this is the correct LIBNAME statement to point to the Programming 1 data that is already loaded on the server.

cynthia

Saszealot
Calcite | Level 5

You're probably the best person to answer my question.

I'm trying to create Library : ORION On SAS Enterprise guide : SAS ONDEMAND FOR ACADEMICS.

I listened to the lecture several times and demo and followed the steps. SE directs me to the library on your Servers -  SASApps, but can' create ORION Library.

Below is part of the steps  SAS people gave to in their solution to the practice:

Task

1. Use the Assign Project Library task to create the Orion library and point to the location of the course data. Include the access=readonly option in Step 3 of the task. Then, test and assign the library.

• Select Tools then Assign Project Library.
    • In Step 1, type Orion in the Name field and select Next.
    • In Step 2, verify that the engine is BASE. Browse to or type the location of the course data. Select Next.
    • In Step 3, type access in the Name field. Then, type readonly in the Value field. Select Next.
    • In the final step, select Test Library and verify that OK is displayed. Select Finish.
MartensS
Calcite | Level 5

I assign the library this way:

I created a program with the following code

Then i run it everytime i start SAS Enterprise Guide.

After you run this code, make sure you check the log to see if it was succesfully assigned.

http://gyazo.com/df78098685f89780726fb706a8415fd4.png

Saszealot
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks a lot, I was able to create the ORION Library going by your advice, but the specific data I'm looking for employee_masters is missing in that Library and the content is not the same as that in ECEG151.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

ECPRG1 is the appropriate folder to use when you are taking the PROGRAMMING 1 e-learning course (just as ECSQL1 would be the folder for the SQL1 e-learning course). Since you indicated in your previous post that you were using SAS OnDemand for Academics, you would want to follow the instructions given to you by your professor. For example, in my response to your other post, I showed you the folders that I see on the OnDemand for Professionals server. Remember that you cannot navigate to a location on your C drive. the ECPRG1 location will NOT work for you if you are taking the Enterprise Guide 1 course or a specific course at your university for which your professor has loaded the data.

cynthia

ghiottos
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Cynthia,

I recently started the SCYP programme and am now doing the Enterprise Guide 1: Querying and Reporting e-learning course.
I seem to have the same or a very similar problem, I also cannot find the Employee_master file required to do the practice. It is supposed to be in the Orion Library that I should assign, but I cannot find any library with the employee_master file. The specific practice session is enterprise guide 1: querying and reporting==> Lesson 2: Working with Data in a Project ==> Accessing SAS and DBMS Data ==> the second practice session (ie, the last item of Accessing SAS and DBMS Data).

I'm hoping you or one of your colleagues can help me as this is a bit of a bottleneck to continue the course.

Kind regards,

Simon

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Every e-learning class has a different directory location. Only the Enterprise Guide 1 class uses the EMPLOYEE_MASTER dataset. So you will not find that data in any of the other locations (such as the directory for Programming 1 or Programming 2). However, when I look at the SAS OnDemand for Professionals server, I DO see EMPLOYEE_MASTER in the location described in the Enterprise Guide 1 course. See the screen shot entitled: path_to_data_server.png -- which shows a screen from the course that names the path in the server list. Then see screen shot employee_master_on_server.png to see that the EMPLOYEE_MASTER data set is on the server. That screen shot also shows an example of a possible LIBNAME statement and PROC CONTENTS step that should work on the OnDemand server (assuming the same directory structure), to point to the data file. The difference between Method 1 and Method2 below is that Method 1 uses the tilde character ~ as an alias for the /home/your_username portion of the directory location -- which I find easier to type. Method 2 shows the LIBNAME statement as generated by Enterprise Guide (it uses the full directory path and, of course, you would have to substitute your username where I have indicated your_username in the code below). Or, just use the tilde method. Just remember each time you log onto the server, you will need to either Assign the library from the Tools menu or have a LIBNAME statement that you submit first.

cynthia

** Method 1;

libname orion '~/ecourses/eceg151';

proc contents data=orion.employee_master;

run;

proc print data=orion.employee_master;

run;

** Method 2;

LIBNAME ORION BASE "/home/your_username/ecourses/eceg151" access=readonly;

proc contents data=orion.employee_master;

run;

proc print data=orion.employee_master;

run;

As an alternative, you could go to the tools menu (Tools --> Assign Project Library) and assign a library to your project by following these screen shots: eg_assign_lib_tools_method.png.

So when I issue aLIBNAME statement, no matter which form, I do see all the DATASETS that are stored in the directory for the Enterprise Guide 1 e-learning class. The path to the data was in the class material. The relevant choice is to pick the SAS OnDemand button. It might say SAS OnDemand for Professionals, but that would also apply to SAS OnDemand for Academics server too (if the data for that course is on the Academics server).

cynthia

eg_assign_lib_tools_method.pngemployee_master_on_server.pngpath_to_data_server.png
ghiottos
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am sorry to say that it didn't work. I tried all three of the methods you told me over the last week as well as experimenting a bit myself based on the earlier course 'Introduction to Statistical Concepts' that I already finished and where I did not have a problem with the data but to no avail.

As you guessed I am using the SAS Enterprise Guide 6.1 OnDemand for Academics, but I don't seem to have access to the server.

In the attached image you can see a screenshot of what I get when I use the first method, but it's the same for the second method. When I try to use the third method(tools menu)  I don't even see the other folders in the second step when I want to select the folder. My only option is the sasuser.v93 that I also see in your screenshot, but you seem to have more options.

Note that in my screenshot I purposely included the Server List, where according to the path to data screenshot you sent me I am supposed to have more options.

Could it be that I made a mistake in a much earlier step, during my registration for the SCYP programme or when downloading/setting up the Enterprise Guide OnDemand?

Kind regards,

Simon

Screenshot SAS.png

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi: I was afraid that the directories on the SAS OnDemand for Academics server might be different that what is on the SAS OnDemand for Professionals server. They are 2 different servers used for 2 different purposes. Generally, the SAS OnDemand for Academics server has a professor's course data loaded on the server.  Your screen shots indicate to me that your server structure and loaded files are different than what is on the SAS OnDemand for Professionals server that I have access to. There isn't a way for you to put files onto the server. Usually when a SAS OnDemand for Academics student takes a class, their professor makes sure that the class data is loaded onto the server for the class they are taking. I do not know what program or university runs your SCYP program, but you might need to work with your professor to see whether he/she has arranged for data to be loaded onto the server.

Clearly, the EG directory that I can see for the EG course is not on your server. That is really a question for your professor.

cynthia

krott
Calcite | Level 5

I too am having trouble loading the Orion library with the , but I am using the Base SAS setup for Windows.  I am typing in what the instructions say, but am getting the error that the Library Orion does not exist. 

this is what I have per the instructions provided:

%let path=\Users\Krott\Desktop\ecprg193;

libname orion "&path";

I am really new to this and don't understand.  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Are you using a local copy of SAS on your machine (your C: drive) or are you using the SAS University Edition and a Virtual Machine? If you are running SAS on your local machine (NOT through the SAS University Edition), then the instructions for Programming 1 are to use the FULLY qualified path. On Windows, a FULLY qualified path includes the C:\ drive letter. For example, if I want to write the files to a folder named C:\SAS_Education\ecprg1 folder then my code and libname would need to be typed as shown in the screen shot of the attached SAS log. And, you can see from the Windows Explorer screen shot that the program ran successfully. To determine whether you do have a local copy of SAS, you should look for the SAS.EXE executable program on your C: drive or a shared drive that is attached to your machine.

If you are using the SAS University Edition, which lives in a Virtual Machine on your desktop, then the location is a different location that you specify. It would need to be a UNIX location, with UNIX slashes, something like:

/folders/myfolders/ecprg1 (assuming you followed the instructions to make a shared folder for your Virtual Machine).

Since you indicated that you have the "Base SAS setup for Windows", then I have only attached screen shots for setting up the libname and creating the data for that setup.

cynthia

local_copy_of_SAS_Windows.pngsuccessful_libname_local_windows.pnglibname_example_windows_ecprg1.pngwindows_explorer_after_run_program.png
krott
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Cynthia. 

It turns out we are using SAS on a server and I had to get the files over using an FTP software.  Got it all up and running.l  Thank you for your response.  It was helpful in getting me to go in the right direction.

mukou200
Calcite | Level 5

I used The SAS University Edition on my mac to do e-course,  followed the instructions carefully, but still came across same problem. I read all the solutions in this forum but none can help me. Can you give me some suggestion about how to tackle my problem? I really appreciate your help.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats