BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
80sMetalForever
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, my group recently upgrated to EG 6.1 on a GRID architecture from 4.3 and we're loving it! One thing we noticed is that the log does not display the STIMER results by default anymore like it did in 4.3 (real time/cpu time etc.) Can somebody confirm if there's an option to enable STIMER as a default? I'm not an admin just a user and I've searched around but didn't find any definitive answer. We've been instructed to add STIMER to all of our code but I wanted to double-check that there isn't a better way. thx!

6 REPLIES 6
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

STIMER is usually the default it is on the SAS server used by my EG and when I submit programs to the GRID.

Are you mixing up STIMER with FULLSTIMER?  I have know known a SAS were FULLSTIMER was the detfault.

80sMetalForever
Calcite | Level 5

All I know is before the upgrade we would see something this in the log for every step (didn't need STIMER in the code):

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.01 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

And now we do not. I cannot imagine this would have gone away, so I'm looking for something to provide to my administrator and say "Hey, could you check this setting?"

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

Inspect the results of the following:

proc options group=logcontrol; run;

80sMetalForever
Calcite | Level 5

SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 9.4  TS1M1

Group=LOGCONTROL

CPUID             Prints the CPU identification number at the beginning of the SAS log.

DATE              Prints the date and time that a SAS program started.

DECIMALCONV=COMPATIBLE

Specifies the binary to decimal conversion and formatting methodology.

NODETAILS         Does not display additional information when files are listed in a SAS library.

DMSLOGSIZE=99999  Specifies the maximum number of rows that the SAS Log window can display.

NODTRESET         SAS does not update the date and time in the titles of the SAS log and procedure output file.

NOECHOAUTO        Does not write statements that are in the AUTOEXEC file to the SAS log as they are executed.

ERRORS=20         Specifies the maximum number of observations for which SAS issues complete error messages.

HOSTINFOLONG      Print operating environment information in the SAS log when SAS starts.

LINESIZE=132      Specifies the line size for the SAS log and for SAS procedure output for the LISTING destination.

LOGAPPLNAME=      Specifies a SAS session name for SAS logging.

NOLOGLANGCHG      Disables changing the language of the SAS output when the LOCALE= option is changed.

LOGPARM=WRITE=BUFFERED ROLLOVER=NONE OPEN=REPLACE

Specifies when SAS log files are opened, closed, and according to the LOG= system option, how they are named.

MISSING=.         Specifies the character to print for missing numeric values.

NOMLOGIC          Does not trace macro execution or write the results to the SAS log.

NOMLOGICNEST      Does not display the macro nesting information in the SAS log for MLOGIC output.

NOMPRINT          Does not display the SAS statements that are generated by macro execution.

MSGLEVEL=N        Specifies the level of detail in SAS log messages.

NEWS=             Specifies the location of the news file that is to be written to the SAS log immediately after the header.

NOTES             SAS writes notes to the SAS log.

NUMBER            Prints the page number on the first title line of each page of SAS output.

NOOVP             Disables overprinting of error messages to make them bold.

NOPAGEBREAKINITIAL

Does not begin SAS log and procedure output for the LISTING destination on a new page.

PAGESIZE=60       Specifies the number of lines that compose a page of the SAS log and SAS output.

PRINTMSGLIST      Specifies to print the entire list of messages to the SAS log.

SOURCE            Writes program source statements to the SAS log.

NOSOURCE2         Does not write secondary source statements from included files to the SAS log.

NOSYMBOLGEN       Does not display the results of resolving macro variable references in the SAS log.

ECHO=             Specifies a message that is echoed to the SAS log while initializing SAS.

RTRACE=NONE       Specifies whether to produce a list of resources that are read or loaded during a SAS session.

NOFULLSTIMER      Does not write performance statistics to the SAS log.

NOMSGCASE         Specifies that SAS writes notes, warning, and error messages in mixed casing.

NOOPLIST          Does not write SAS system option settings to the SAS log.

STIMEFMT=(NLDATM2. HMS TIMEAMPM KB MEMFULL TSFULL NC)

Specifies the format that is used to display the FULLSTIMER and STIMER output for timestamp, memory, CPU and

elapsed time statistics.

NOSTIMER          Does not write real and CPU time to the SAS log.

NOVERBOSE         Does not write start-up system options to the SAS log.

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

NOSTIMER          Does not write real and CPU time to the SAS log.

There is your answer.

You can ask your administrator to set the option in the site config file to STIMER, or you can set it yourself in a Enterprise Guide autoexec.

Tools>Options>SAS Programs>

Edit the 'Submit SAS code when server is connected' and add:

options stimer; *or fullstimer;

Save it, make sure the box is checked and leave the options.  Disconnect from the server, and resubmit the proc options code to verify changes.

80sMetalForever
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Egg, I'll ask the admin about the config file. I was aware of the second option, but was hoping to get this setup for everyone so they don't have to all make changes.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation