BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thexlwiz
Calcite | Level 5

I regularly need to import Access/Excel (Office 2010 32-bit) files or even earlier Office files (Access2000) into SAS data sets. I have no access to the ACCESS/PC Files module (so PROC IMPORT does not work...).

I have EG 6.1 64-bit (came with SAS 9.4) but it cannot read my 32-bit files so I would need to have ACE 64-bit installed so that EG 64-bit works with it (otherwise it gives me an OLEDB connection error as I do not have the 64-bit ACE installed)....

Can I just "downgrade EG 6.1 to 32-bit instead? I am not using it for anything else as I do everything in the actual SAS 9.4, no need for the fancy interface...

Alternatively, any pointer what would be easiest to use in SAS 9.4 instead of the PROC IMPORT? Especially with Access files (32-bit office versions). Preferably via code and preferably not having to turn things into CSV etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gyula

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I usually recommend the 32-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide.  There are very few (if any) benefits of the 64-bit version, and selecting that version can cause compatibility issues, as you've seen.

You can install the 32-bit version along with the 64-bit version, so if you want to have both on the machine, you can.  You'll have to revisit your SAS software depot and select the 32-bit version.

See more on my recommendations here:

Are 64-bit client applications twice as good as 32-bit applications? - The SAS Dummy

Also, note that SAS Enterprise Guide 6.1 has only a 64-bit version right now, but a 32-bit version is scheduled for the end of this year (named 6.1 Maint 1, along with SAS 9.4 Maint 1).  More on that here.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

PROC IMPORT runs on the server so it's not the SAS EG client which causes the challenges for you.

I believe the following is the link I'm posting the most:   How do I export from SAS to Excel files: Let me count the ways - The SAS Dummy

thexlwiz
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Patrick! I will check it out! I have no real problems with the Excel part though. Access is where I have the issues. I do not have PC Files so apparently SAS coding using PROC IMPORT will not work. Hence I wanted just to use the EG. But my 64-bit version of EG 6.1 says OLEDB connection problem (need ACE 64-bit). Hence I had the question.

thexlwiz
Calcite | Level 5

So this is what I found on the issue:

The following error might occur when you attempt to import Microsoft Office data into SAS Enterprise Guide.

A problem was encountered while attempting to use oledb to read data from the source file  This may be caused due to the source file being opened within another application or a security issue while attempting to access the source file.  Because of this problem the Import Data wizard is unable to continue. 

This error occurs because 64-bit SAS Enterprise Guide can import only Microsoft Access files (.mdb and .accdb) if 64-bit Microsoft Office or 64-bit Office System (ACE) Driver is installed.

To circumvent the problem at SAS Enterprise Guide 5.1, you can install the 32-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide.

Currently, there is only a 64-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide 6.1. In this case, install the 64-bit Microsoft Office System (ACE) Driver.

My question: If I have the 32-bit Office AND do not want to install the 64-bit office, can I still install the 64-bit ACE driver on my system? Or is it going to break my Office 32-bit?

Is this a bug in EG that will be fixed?

GG

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I usually recommend the 32-bit version of SAS Enterprise Guide.  There are very few (if any) benefits of the 64-bit version, and selecting that version can cause compatibility issues, as you've seen.

You can install the 32-bit version along with the 64-bit version, so if you want to have both on the machine, you can.  You'll have to revisit your SAS software depot and select the 32-bit version.

See more on my recommendations here:

Are 64-bit client applications twice as good as 32-bit applications? - The SAS Dummy

Also, note that SAS Enterprise Guide 6.1 has only a 64-bit version right now, but a 32-bit version is scheduled for the end of this year (named 6.1 Maint 1, along with SAS 9.4 Maint 1).  More on that here.

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
thexlwiz
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Chris! Talked to Technical support and the 32-bit version of EG 6.1 is still on schedule to be released by year's end. So I will wait. Your help is appreciated!

Gyula

stuart_snap
Fluorite | Level 6

Do we know if 32-bit EG was ever released?  How can we get it?

Thanks!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Yes, it was released with SAS 9.4 Maint 1.  It's called "SAS Enterprise Guide 6.1 Maintenance 1", and it has a 32-bit and 64-bit version.  It was released late 2013.

You'll need to work with your SAS rep to update your software order -- then download and install!

Chris

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation