BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Boswser
Obsidian | Level 7
I have a run I inherited that transposes data. For some reason, this transpose sticks 30+ empty spaces in front of the NOV2018 values, so the requester has to trim it and has asked if I can prevent that issue.

I inserted a Query Builder step to trim, but noticed that the number of columns generated by the run depends on the data. So the columns I grab with the query builder are not always there, causing the run to fail.

I’m looking into using PROC SQL language to achieve this instead of QB, but I am running into a similar issue. I need to use SELECT * to make sure I grab each column that’s created, but I can’t trim down the date column without naming it in the SELECT statement. If I name the columns, I run into the same problem as QB.

Is there a way to SELECT * in QB or PROC SQL and still be able to trim a named column?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Boswser
Obsidian | Level 7
I understand, that’s what I figured. Unfortunately if I do a new step where I need to name all the columns in order to trim one (since I still need all the columns), it creates the same issue—missing any new columns that may have been created in the initial data pull.

My workaround for this right now is to so SELECT *, date_column so that I have two copies of the date column and I am able to trim the one named in the select statement. Better than nothing!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
No, if you use * you cannot TRIM the same column in the same step. You can in the next step.

Boswser
Obsidian | Level 7
I understand, that’s what I figured. Unfortunately if I do a new step where I need to name all the columns in order to trim one (since I still need all the columns), it creates the same issue—missing any new columns that may have been created in the initial data pull.

My workaround for this right now is to so SELECT *, date_column so that I have two copies of the date column and I am able to trim the one named in the select statement. Better than nothing!
HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11
Then you can do a select from the two column result down to single column.
Boswser
Obsidian | Level 7
I’m afraid this still hits the same issue—I’d need to name every column if I was going to grab all except one, right? So I wouldn’t be using SELECT *. So if that day’s data generated a different # of columns, I would miss them since they would not be named in my SELECT statement.
ballardw
Super User

@Boswser wrote:
I have a run I inherited that transposes data. For some reason, this transpose sticks 30+ empty spaces in front of the NOV2018 values, so the requester has to trim it and has asked if I can prevent that issue.

I inserted a Query Builder step to trim, but noticed that the number of columns generated by the run depends on the data. So the columns I grab with the query builder are not always there, causing the run to fail.

I’m looking into using PROC SQL language to achieve this instead of QB, but I am running into a similar issue. I need to use SELECT * to make sure I grab each column that’s created, but I can’t trim down the date column without naming it in the SELECT statement. If I name the columns, I run into the same problem as QB.

Is there a way to SELECT * in QB or PROC SQL and still be able to trim a named column?

Perhaps time to look at the code doing the TRANSPOSE of the data and address the issue at the start instead of fixing later.

Boswser
Obsidian | Level 7
It’s done in a Transpose step in SAS EG. I did look at the code of the step and there’s nothing there indicating addition of spaces as far as I can tell. Though I admit I am unfamiliar with PROC TRANSPOSE.

The code starts with a PROC SORT, and the PROC TRANSPOSE looks like this:

DATA=WORK.SORTTempTableSorted
OUT=WORK.TRNSTransposed(LABEL=“Transposed WORK.TEST2”)
PREFIX=Column
NAME=Source
LABEL=Label
;
BY Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4;
VAR name_column date_column;

Is anything in there responsible for the added spaces in date_column?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation