BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dreamer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I have a SAS EG process with prompts in it for different reports.

Every day user creates a bunch of reports from this process. He has to select these prompt values for every run.

Is there any way to automate the prompt values? Something similar to what "Casting director" does in BO reports.

Like, a user can update an excel with prompt name & values.

S.no | PName | Value
1 | Region | East

2 | Region | West

Then SAS EG can read this prompt file and create reports for each row of input prompt.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dreamer
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!!

I'm not sure if I re-invented the wheel. But I created a VBA application to read and pass prompt values to Stored Procedure. It worked for me. Smiley Happy

Here I have added a sample solution:

PromptCasting.PNG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If your users are supplying all of the inputs that will tailor an EG process in Excel you could avoid EG prompts but instead create SAS macro variables that feed into your process steps to customise them.

Dreamer
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks SASKiwi, but the problem is how to run the entire process for each set of parameters i.e each row of excel.

If i have to code then I can put the entire process in a SAS Macro function and then call that with each set of input parameters.

But unlike SAS DI, SAS EG doesn't have a loop task that can be embed in process to loop the entire process. My team is not mature in coding and  that's why I'm looking for a point & click solution here!!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm not sure you are going to find a point and click solution but have a look through the possibilities listed here:

https://communities.sas.com/message/193195#193195

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Are You  looking for dynamic prompts https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/sgf09/355-2009.pdf ?
  There are many ways to use and implement prompts

Are You looking for scheduling options for automated processing of reports? This is a world on his own.
Are looking for refreshing reports  that are included in a MS-office document? This is part of AMO

Are you loking for running SP's in batch?

I am only seeing you have Eguide and wanting to automate something. Please elaborate.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Dreamer
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!!

I'm not sure if I re-invented the wheel. But I created a VBA application to read and pass prompt values to Stored Procedure. It worked for me. Smiley Happy

Here I have added a sample solution:

PromptCasting.PNG

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This capability is built into the SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office -- using cell values for prompt answers in a Stored Process.  So yes, you sort of re-invented it -- minus the much nicer interactivity that you get with the SAS Add-In. 

If that solution is working for you -- nice job!

Chris

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Dreamer
Obsidian | Level 7

Chris, I believe your suggestion is to select prompt value from Cell when SAS Add in opens a pop up asking for prompt value. Or pass the complete list as a data source (text/xml) to Store procedure.

In both the cases SP will be triggered with only one set of prompt values. But my requirement is to run this process for multiple set of prompts.

See if we can get this way:

Lets assume I have a EG process which filters observations and create report based on prompt value.

EG Process.PNG

Prompts:

Sex (=M/F)
Age (>= Value)

When user runs this process, SAS will ask for prompt. Lets say user enters (M, 14). SAS will create report for these values.

If user has another set of parameters (say F, 12) for an another report then user will have to re-run this process with new prompt values. Think if he has many such sets. Each time he'll have to manually trigger the process with new prompt values.

Diag.PNG

I was just trying to automate this manual effort.

PS: User does adhoc reporting, so scheduling is not an option + User doesn't know much programming!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation