BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
saitks99
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a problem I don't know how to tackle..I am using to append task to join two tables...One is a large sas permanent table which contains million of rows and 80 columns, and I have to append a table with 5000 rows and 80 columns, I am using permanent table as base and secondary table as the other one. 

The base table variables on average has lengths around 300, and the secondary table is having average length of the columns around 3000.

After the append task is ran, it is truncating the columns from the secondary table(this is what I need) but the main problem is, it is changing length of variables of permanent table and replacing them with secondary tables variable lengths.

My permanent table size increased from 40 gb to 280 gb.

Is there any way to append the tables so that after the append task is done the resultant table have lengths from base table.

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I haven't used this task, but from the description it sounds like it uses a data set strategy.

You could very easily program this;
Proc append base=perm data=trans force;
Run;
Data never sleeps
saitks99
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks LinusH, It would be better for me to create a custom task for this procedure. My strict rule is to never use a program part in EG.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Feel free to do so.
But it sounds with that regulation you are not utilising EG, or using it for the wrong type of application.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation