BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

I want to use Proc http to download a json file from a website, then read the data and manipulate it. 

I have never used Proc http before and have two questions.

First Question - I am getting symbolic reference warnings and don't know if these are warning I can ignore or not?  My URL address is very long and I get the following warnings:

WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference SYSPARM_DISPLAY_VALUE not resolved.
WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference SYSPARM_EXCLUDE_REFERENCE_LINK not resolved.
WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference SYSPARM_FIELDS not resolved.
WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference SYSPARM_LIMIT not resolved.

The code I am running is:

filename out TEMP;
filename cacm TEMP;
proc http
url="https://abc.service-now.com/api/now/table/u_cacm_pl_uw_mngr_type_8?sysparm_query=cref_referred_dateO..."
method="GET"
out=out
headerout=cacm
AUTH_NEGOTIATE
WEBUSERNAME="admin"
WEBPASSWORD="xxxxxxxxxx";

run;
libname CACM xlsx "%sysfunc(pathname(out))" ;
proc copy inlib=cacm outlib=WORK;
run;

My second question - assuming that I don't need to worry about the warnings or if I can resolve them and mt PROC HTTP successfully runs (it seems to run with no errors), then how do I read the dataset? In this case, I would like to make JSON output as a SAS dataset and mainpulate it.  My code runs with no errors but also no output.

The test JSON output should look loke this:

Test REST Response:

{"result":[
{"c_number":"3364","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"OH","cref_referred_date":"2019-09-23","cref_response_date":"2019-09-27","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-09-23"},
{"c_number":"2489","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"CO","cref_referred_date":"2019-07-30","cref_response_date":"2019-07-31","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-07-30"},
{"c_number":"3571","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"WA","cref_referred_date":"2019-10-09","cref_response_date":"2019-10-18","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-10-08"},
{"c_number":"2752","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"IA","cref_referred_date":"2019-08-15","cref_response_date":"2019-08-27","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-08-15"},
{"c_number":"2752","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"IA","cref_referred_date":"2019-08-15","cref_response_date":"2019-08-27","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-08-15"},
{"c_number":"3016","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"NE","cref_referred_date":"2019-08-29","cref_response_date":"2019-09-09","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-08-29"},
{"c_number":"3336","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"MO","cref_referred_date":"2019-09-23","cref_response_date":"2019-09-23","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-09-23"},
{"c_number":"3336","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"MO","cref_referred_date":"2019-09-23","cref_response_date":"2019-09-23","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-09-23"},
{"c_number":"2817","cp_policy.contract_state_code":"WI","cref_referred_date":"2019-08-19","cref_response_date":"2019-08-27","c_case_open_timestamp":"2019-08-19"}
]}

I appreciate any help or guidance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

My code was wrong - should be:

data _null_;
 rc = jsonpp("out","log");
run;

But the ALLDATA member has the messages.  Your API call was not authenticated properly.  You're trying to use Basic authentication (user/pw). Maybe the user/pw is wrong, or maybe the service isn't configured to allow Basic auth.  It's often disallowed these days as OAuth2 is more standard and secure.

At the least, your PROC HTTP statement should use AUTH_BASIC instead of NEGOTIATE, as that's the protocol you want.

Try your API call in another interactive environment to get it working before trying to script it with SAS.  Postman is a good one. See tips here.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Reeza
Super User
What version of SAS do you have? If you have a version beyond 9.4M4+ then you can use the JSON libname very easily.
This blog post illustrates how to use it.
https://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2016/12/02/json-libname-engine-sas/

FYI - to avoid the warnings put your URL in single quotes. & and % are part of the macro syntax and SAS is thinking you're using macro variables/macros when you're not. If you put them in single quotes it will not try and resolve them and you will not get warnings.
gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Reeza for your suggestions.  I have re-read Chris' blog and that helped me out.  Still trying to get data to come through and am very close, but not quite there.

Reeza
Super User
You can check your SAS version with the following:

proc product_status;run;
gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

I am using 9.4_M5 and am trying to use the JSON engine.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Regarding the warnings, they are informational but don't hurt anything.  However, I prefer to resolve these for a cleaner log with less noise.  Two techniques:

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Chris for your reply - it took care of the warnings.  I appreciate the help.  Now I need to figure out the JSON end of my code.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You're almost there.

libname data json fileref=out;
data result;
 set data.result;
run;

ChrisHemedinger_0-1596840237397.png

(Use the INPUT function to change these fields to the proper types -- numeric, date, etc.)

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Chris!  I have been trying your suggestions and am still getting an error and no results.  I am so close and it is probably a super easy fix, but am missing something.  My current code is:

filename out TEMP;

filename cacm TEMP;

proc http

url='https://abcd.service-now.com/api/now/table/u_cacm_pl_uw_mngr_type_8?sysparm_query=cref_referred_date...'

method="GET"

out=out

headerout=cacm

AUTH_NEGOTIATE

WEBUSERNAME="admin"

WEBPASSWORD="xxxxxxxxx";

run;

*libname CACM xlsx "%sysfunc(pathname(out))" ;

*proc copy inlib=cacm outlib=WORK;

*run;

libname result JSON fileref=out;

data result;

set data.result;

run;

I get this error -

ERROR: File DATA.RESULT.DATA does not exist.

I have tried using different names other than "result" for my JSON libname statement and don't seem to get anywhere.  Really scratching me head on this one and hoping you or others may see my coding error.

As always, thanks so much for yours (and everyone's) help!

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

You code is a little different than mine.  The JSON libname in your code is RESULT, but in mine I named it DATA.  Try using PROC DATASETS to see the contents of the JSON data:

proc datasets lib=data; quit;

/* if there is a RESULT table then this should work */
data result;
 set data.result;
run;

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Chris;

I ran the code and RESULT is not there.  My log shows:

NOTE: JSON data is only read once. To read the JSON again, reassign the JSON LIBNAME.

NOTE: Libref DATA was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine: JSON

Physical Name: /saswork/SAS_work344100007187_pgnp008.ABCD.com/#LN00256

proc datasets lib=data;

! quit;

The results show that the libref is DATA with Access of READONLY.

When I use DATA as my file name I get:

ERROR: File DATA.RESULT.DATA does not exist.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Check the contents of your JSON file to ensure it has what you think should be there.  Assuming your fileref is named out:

data _null_;
 rc = jsonpp("data","log");
run;

Using the data you supplied before, it should look something like this:

ChrisHemedinger_0-1597078848946.png

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Chris, what you sent is what I expected to see as well, but am not getting that anywhere.  My current code (I have been trying various filenames during our blogging) looks like:

filename out TEMP;

filename cacm TEMP;

proc http

url='https://ABCD.service-now.com/api/now/table/u_cacm_pl_uw_mngr_type_8?...'

method="GET"

out=out

headerout=cacm

AUTH_NEGOTIATE

WEBUSERNAME="admin"

WEBPASSWORD="xxxxxxx";

run;

libname CACM json "%sysfunc(pathname(out))" ;

proc copy inlib=cacm outlib=WORK;

run;

libname CACM JSON fileref=out;

*data result;

* set data.result;

*run;

data _null_;

rc = jsonpp("data","log");

run;

Log:

41 libname CACM JSON fileref=out;

NOTE: JSON data is only read once. To read the JSON again, reassign the JSON LIBNAME.

NOTE: Libref CACM was successfully assigned as follows:

Engine: JSON

Physical Name: /saswork/SAS_work36A300006AD9_pgnp008.ABCD.com/#LN00050

42 *data result;

43 * set data.result;

44 *run;

45 data _null_;

46 rc = jsonpp("data","log");

47 run;

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /config/sas94/Lev1/SASApp/data.

ALLDATA:

P      P1       P2            V      Value
1      error                     0 
2      error    message  1      User Not Authenticated
2      error    detail        1      Required to provide Auth information
1      status                   1      failure

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

My code was wrong - should be:

data _null_;
 rc = jsonpp("out","log");
run;

But the ALLDATA member has the messages.  Your API call was not authenticated properly.  You're trying to use Basic authentication (user/pw). Maybe the user/pw is wrong, or maybe the service isn't configured to allow Basic auth.  It's often disallowed these days as OAuth2 is more standard and secure.

At the least, your PROC HTTP statement should use AUTH_BASIC instead of NEGOTIATE, as that's the protocol you want.

Try your API call in another interactive environment to get it working before trying to script it with SAS.  Postman is a good one. See tips here.

gregor1
Quartz | Level 8

Chris,

Both you and Reeza have been of great help!  I did finally get this JSON to load in to SAS.  I am a newbie on some of this and the information you shared is greatly appreciated.  The authentication issue has been resolved and the data is coming through exactly as you indicated.  You made my day!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 3 in conversation