BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
William29
Calcite | Level 5

I tried to run an SVM model that I built within SAS viya using 'build model'. However, I received an error indicating that only binary or interval type targets are supported.

In my case, I have approximately 100 classes so I am wondering if there is any easy way that SVM can be used for multi-class (more than 2) classification within SAS viya?

I am aware that this could be done by subsuming all of the classes into just two broader classes, and using binary svm, and then continually repeating the process (of dividing these broader classes into two slightly less broad classes) to classify the observations into each of the 100 classes but I would prefer it if there is a simpler and less time-expensive solution.

2 REPLIES 2
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

I think this is your only option :

Koen

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

If you have ~100 or 100+ output labels, I guess you are assigning texts (unstructured data) to topics or so.

If one text can have many topics (like 3 or 5 or 10), you need multi-label models.

Assigning one text to one multinomial output class would be "wrong" in that case.

You can try "extreme multi label text classification".
See here : https://pypi.org/project/extremetext/

See also this :

You can do it through SAS.

Koen

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation