BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BrahmanandaRao
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Data Analysts

How to migrate SAS Code to Python Code any tutorials are there what is snowflake schema roll in migration 

process 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
There is no automated conversion, you look at the code and manually convert it. If you do it line by line, which is common, it's incredibly inefficient, so instead you need to determine the functionality of the code via a requirements document and then implement the requirements in Python. Most people do it line by line and get inefficient code that way.

Schema's typically have no role in code migration, assuming you're referring to star/snowflake type schema not the snowflake cloud service.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User
There is no automated conversion, you look at the code and manually convert it. If you do it line by line, which is common, it's incredibly inefficient, so instead you need to determine the functionality of the code via a requirements document and then implement the requirements in Python. Most people do it line by line and get inefficient code that way.

Schema's typically have no role in code migration, assuming you're referring to star/snowflake type schema not the snowflake cloud service.
BrahmanandaRao
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Please suggestion any web sites are there to get an idea migration SAS in Python code
I am urge reeza madam please give basic migratoin SAS tO Python
Reeza
Super User
There is no such thing, you need to actually know each language and it's a human driven process to translate code.
BrahmanandaRao
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Reeza

I mean no translate  the code if suppose existing projects are there so if client asked the same project

using python pandas so how to start task using python pandas for existing datasets  i want  basic 

procedure to understand just because few companies asking those who have experience in sas to python 

migration projects thats why i am requesting

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@BrahmanandaRao  - Google is your friend. If you search for "SAS to Python conversion" here are the first three links I found:

https://towardsdatascience.com/beginners-guide-to-transition-from-sas-to-python-fcd17438a7a6

https://sas2py.com/

https://riskspan.com/sas-to-python-migration/

There are many other links for you to check out. From these you should be able to learn enough to intelligently answer recruitment questions.

BTW, I know pretty much nothing about Python but I do know how to do internet searches and learn from links like the above. You shouldn't have any problem doing the same.

Kaushansky
Obsidian | Level 7

What is the best way for a SAS programmer to learn Python?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since the languages have very different paradigms, a "translation" has to be done by re-implementing the original design in the new language. And the "translator" has to be very proficient in the target language, and proficient in SAS.

So you need to start by making yourself a highly skilled Python programmer, and get to know the purpose(s) of the available SAS code.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation