BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I want to change the data type of one of the variable from character to numeric in one of the table in SAS DI 4.9. While I creating the new table, I had mistakenly created one variable with character data type instead of numeric.

So when I tried to change the datatype by going to respective table via inventory and changed the data type and did right click and choose 'Update Metadata' but still I see the datatype has not changed.

I ensured that I've closed the table before doing this operation. Am I doing something wrong here or is there any other way to change data type in a step or two?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

OK - if you really can't re-create the table then something as painful as below should do the job. Once you've modified the physical table you then can execute an update metadata and re-align the column throughout your jobs (eventually use the standardization wizard if there are too many impacted mappings).

data have;
  var='123';
  output;
  stop;
run;

proc datasets lib=work nolist;
  modify have;
    rename var=_var;
    run;
quit;

proc sql;
  alter table have
    add var float;
  update have
    set var=input(_var,best32.);
  alter table have
    drop _var;
quit;

proc print data=have;
run;
proc contents data=have;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

"So when I tried to change the datatype by going to respective table via inventory and changed the data type..."

Here you changed the table metadata but not the underlying physical table. 

"...and did right click and choose 'Update Metadata' "

This updates the table metadata using the underlying physical table - which you haven't changed so now metadata for this column will be character again.

Easiest way: Change table metadata, delete the physical table, run the job which creates the physical table.

If that's not possible: Use Proc SQL/Alter Table; Modify... and change the physical table. Then execute an update metadata

David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

From your reply 'Easiest Way' is not possible. Document says

'You cannot use the MODIFY clause to

• change a character column to numeric or vice versa. To change a column's data type, drop the column and then add it (and its data) again, or use the DATA step.'

Is there a way that I can change the datatype, without dropping the variable?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

'Easiest Way' is to delete the physical table, change your metadata definition, run the DI job that creates the table. 

You are right, you can't change the data type with an alter table. Are you dealing with a SAS table or a database table?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

OK - if you really can't re-create the table then something as painful as below should do the job. Once you've modified the physical table you then can execute an update metadata and re-align the column throughout your jobs (eventually use the standardization wizard if there are too many impacted mappings).

data have;
  var='123';
  output;
  stop;
run;

proc datasets lib=work nolist;
  modify have;
    rename var=_var;
    run;
quit;

proc sql;
  alter table have
    add var float;
  update have
    set var=input(_var,best32.);
  alter table have
    drop _var;
quit;

proc print data=have;
run;
proc contents data=have;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation