BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Dougfoley2
Calcite | Level 5

I am new to SAS so my question might be simple but i can not find anything on the internet to answer it so that is why I am asking it. I have some data that I am doing a proc sort on. In the data the information is organized randomly so I am doing my initial sort on the employee_id. Then i am using a proc print to sum the profits of individual employees based on their id. to this extent now i need the profit to be sorted by the total of their sales so highest profit generator to the top and in a descending manner. Can you help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

Sounds like you have at least employee_id and some_profit_variable. Couldn't you just sort by:

by employee_id descending some_profit_variable;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Dougfoley2
Calcite | Level 5

The profit is based on transactions so the proc print is generating the sum for each employee. At this step is when i would need to restructure the data generated to make the total profit from the individual transactions in a descending manner.

Astounding
PROC Star

Do you need to print each individual sale, or do you need to print just the total of all sales per employee_id?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

PROC PRINT is just a method to display data.

If you want to calculate sums then use PROC SUMMARY. With PROC SUMMARY you might be able to avoid the original sort and just use a CLASS statement instead of a BY statement.

proc summary data=have nway ;
class employee_id ;
var profit ;
output out=want sum= ;
run;
proc sort data=want ; by descending profit ; run;
proc print;
 var profit employee_id;
run;

(or possible roll your own by writing a query using PROC SQL).

proc sql ;
  create table want as
      select employee_id,sum(profit) as profit 
      group by 1
      order by 2 desc
  ;
quit;

You could also look at using PROC FREQ and trick it into make a sum by using your PROFIT variable as a WEIGHT variable.  But watch out if you have negative or zero values for profit.

proc freq data=have order=freq ;
  weight profit ;
  tables employee_id;
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation