BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mnsen
Calcite | Level 5

I have a question about the group processing nodes. I found one interesting tip here  where I posted the same question in the tip comments.

I am building a model with in which I need to use different set of input variables for different targets. There are inputs that should be used for some targets but rejected for others. Is there any way to do this in SAS miner using the Group Processing nodes or any other recommended method. 

Thank you,

Sam Rakan

1 REPLY 1
DougWielenga
SAS Employee

I am building a model with in which I need to use different set of input variables for different targets. There are inputs that should be used for some targets but rejected for others. Is there any way to do this in SAS miner using the Group Processing nodes or any other recommended method. 

The Group Processing nodes allows you to analyze different targets using the same potential input variables or you can analyze multiple subgroups against the same target(s) using the same potential input variables.  If you have different targets and different sets of input variables for each, this is much easier to set up and manage with parallel flows. 

If all of the input variables are in a single data source, you can simply create a separate branch for each group of inputs that you want to consider and then connect modeling nodes to each of those separate branches.  If you have multiple targets that would use the same set of inputs, you can use Group Processing on that particular branch.   

In the end, keeping the models on separate paths is very beneficial on many occasions for the following reasons:

* allows you to see all of the results on any particular model

* allows you to retrain only the target(s) of interest without being required to refit all of the models that were done in group processing

* allows you to easily obtain scorecode for the target variable(s) run through a particular branch

* allows models to be run in parallel rather than sequentially taking advantage of additional CPUs if available

Group Processing can be very helpful when fitting a model against multiple segments or when building models for multiple targets with the same input variables.   

Hope this helps!

Doug

Assuming all of these subsets of variables

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation