BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
newsasuser2017
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to run a decision tree analysis in Enterprise Miner. I have 6 variables (lets say A-F) which I am using as the inputs and have one binary target variable. When I run the analysis, I get a couple leaf nodes where the variables are repeated. For e.g. the analysis finds A as the strongest predictor and uses that as the root node and then halfway through one of the branches uses A again as the splitter variable. Is there a way I can prevent this from happening and force it to use each variable as the splitter variable only once at the maximum? I have SAS 9.4.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

I don't know if the option is in EM's decision tree, but both proc split and proc hpsplit have an option that does that, namely USEVARONCE (see: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/stathpug/67524/HTML/default/viewer.htm#stathpug_hpsplit_... ). You might want to check to see if it is available in EM's decision tree node.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
art297
Opal | Level 21

I don't know if the option is in EM's decision tree, but both proc split and proc hpsplit have an option that does that, namely USEVARONCE (see: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/stathpug/67524/HTML/default/viewer.htm#stathpug_hpsplit_... ). You might want to check to see if it is available in EM's decision tree node.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation