BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sdhilip
Quartz | Level 8
Hi,

How can one identify whether the samples are linearly separable or not before applying a binary classifier? (or) when should I opt for linear SVM and non-linear SVM? 

In one of my works, I applied linear SVM and kernel SVM (Polynomial) for the same dataset in SAS Miner. Kernel SVM performs better in terms of accuracy. Does it mean that Dataset is not linearly separable?

Is there any way we can check the datasets visually before applying SVM? My dataset size around 45000 (70: training & 30: validation)

Regards,
Dhilip
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
As far as your main question "Is there any way we can check the datasets visually before applying SVM?" is concerned, I am not sure if you can analyze your full data with all the features (if the number of features are more than 3). Simply because it become harder and harder to visualize once the dimensions go beyond 3.
I am not sure if I answered your question. I am sorry if I did not.
Best wishes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Non-linear SVM classifier is supposed to give better accuracy over linear. Is your linear SVM far worse than the non-linear SVM/Kernel? May be delta accuracy is not large enough to discard the linear classifier. 

There is a nice discussion here (https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/73032/linear-kernel-and-non-linear-kernel-for-support-vect...)

koyelghosh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
As far as your main question "Is there any way we can check the datasets visually before applying SVM?" is concerned, I am not sure if you can analyze your full data with all the features (if the number of features are more than 3). Simply because it become harder and harder to visualize once the dimensions go beyond 3.
I am not sure if I answered your question. I am sorry if I did not.
Best wishes.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation