BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Erm, so your getting email via Outlook, running a VBA script to save that to Excel.  Then importing that Excel to SAS, uploading it to a database.  Then extracting that data from the database into EG.  Running some reports, and then outputting the result?  This seems to me to be a very roudabout way of doing things, passign through SAS twice, using Excel and VBA as extra steps.  

For example, a quick search on the net shows that SQL Server can accept mail directly:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/ms186358.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

However saying that, its not clear to me why the database component is there at all as doesn't seem to add anything to the process.  I would say simplify it to: VBA->Save to text-> SAS EG program to read data in, create report, and output.

Venkat4
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks to all.

"However saying that, its not clear to me why the database component is there at all as doesn't seem to add anything to the process.  I would say simplify it to: VBA->Save to text-> SAS EG program to read data in, create report, and output." -----

We wanted to automate the entire process. VBA and PC-SAS runs via Windows task scheduler. EG sas code runs via Crontab. If we had to avoid that PC-SAS code to move the data to SQL server, we will have to manually import from EG before the crontab kicks in.

There may be a better way to consider, but this is what is in my mind now considering the goal in hand to automate the complete thing.

only4sas
Calcite | Level 5
hope this helps

data temp;
length body $ 100;
input body$ @@;
if length(body)=16;
cards;
30 2016 1106 1234567891011121 032916 1 032916 1 032916 1 358650 76
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 8 in conversation