BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RealePrimavera
Obsidian | Level 7

I need to divert utility files to a larger space than work library. (working with proc ginside that seems to create a big threaded utility file and creating error of insufficient space in work library). 

One of the solutions I found is to add options utilloc='larger space path' in configuration. However, I am getting this error message while changing my configuration. 

Will be helpful to know if someone is familiar with this option. I am using 9.4 version and Enterprise Guide interchangeably; both of which has same config. file as I understand. Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@RealePrimavera 

You can either define this in a configuration file (..._usermods.cfg) or in an autoexec (..._usermods.sas).

https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lesysoptsref&docsetTarget=p1texr4rxo0ipyn1ovajj11raccx.ht... 

In a config file the syntax is:

-utilloc "D:\utility"

In an autoexec the syntax is:

options utilloc="D:\utility";

UTILLOC should point to your disk with the best I/O or there will be a negative performance impact.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

How exactly are you specifying the option in the config file?

Specifically, you don't have the options keyword in the statement?

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=hostunx&docsetTarget=p13flc1vsrqwr8n1vutzds8rp3t0.htm&docset...

It should likely be:

-utilloc 'path to file'

@RealePrimavera wrote:

I need to divert utility files to a larger space than work library. (working with proc ginside that seems to create a big threaded utility file and creating error of insufficient space in work library). 

One of the solutions I found is to add options utilloc='larger space path' in configuration. However, I am getting this error message while changing my configuration. 

Will be helpful to know if someone is familiar with this option. I am using 9.4 version and Enterprise Guide interchangeably; both of which has same config. file as I understand. Capture.PNG

RealePrimavera
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, Reeza for pointing out. I was in fact using "options" in the statement; changed it now per the document. 

However, my intermediate utility files are not being directed yet to the new path and I am back to the same error of "insufficient space in work library". Any idea about why/how?

Currently, my configuration file reads as:

-config "C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls\en\sasv9.cfg"
-utilloc="D:\utility"

Reeza
Super User
How big is the file you're working with and how big is the space on the D drive. And how much RAM do you have? Post the code and the exact error would likely help as well.
ErikLund_Jensen
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @RealePrimavera 

Did you create the physical folder D:\utility on your D drive? - I think the folder must exist before SAS is started.

RealePrimavera
Obsidian | Level 7

good point though I already had it created 🙂

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Do you want the equal sign? You didn't use one for the -config option.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@RealePrimavera 

You can either define this in a configuration file (..._usermods.cfg) or in an autoexec (..._usermods.sas).

https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=lesysoptsref&docsetTarget=p1texr4rxo0ipyn1ovajj11raccx.ht... 

In a config file the syntax is:

-utilloc "D:\utility"

In an autoexec the syntax is:

options utilloc="D:\utility";

UTILLOC should point to your disk with the best I/O or there will be a negative performance impact.

RealePrimavera
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you, @Patrick 

In fact, I was using equal signs misled by utilloc document which for options statement. 

In configuration file, one needs to mention the options with hyphen sign. 

Here, is the configuration syntax document for future explorers:

https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=hostwin&docsetTarget=p0drw76qo0gig2n1kcoliekh605k.htm&doc...

Best,

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation