BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
comeon2012
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear all,

To import excel data into SAS, I usually convert the excel file to csv file. But for a file as attached, when I converted the excel data to csv data, the leading zeros in some observations are missed. Also, some observations with "E" are treated as scientific format, which is not I want. Accordingly, the SAS data generated are as what the csv file shows.

I want the SAS data generated like the data in excel. Please indicate how can I do this? Thanks.

question.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS will not do what you have described with a CSV file unless you tell it to.  Excel will do that unless you force it NOT to.

You have pasted a picture of what looks like an Excel sheet.

Paste a copy of the actual CSV file.  Open it with NOTEPAD or other text editor to see what is in it.

The advantage of using a CSV file to transfer to SAS instead of trying to convert the Excel directly is that you can write you own DATA step to read it.  If you want the values to be treated as character then read them into a character variable.

data want ;

infile 'myfile.csv' dsd firstobs=2 ;

length Excel $10  CSV 8 ;

input excel csv ;

run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS will not do what you have described with a CSV file unless you tell it to.  Excel will do that unless you force it NOT to.

You have pasted a picture of what looks like an Excel sheet.

Paste a copy of the actual CSV file.  Open it with NOTEPAD or other text editor to see what is in it.

The advantage of using a CSV file to transfer to SAS instead of trying to convert the Excel directly is that you can write you own DATA step to read it.  If you want the values to be treated as character then read them into a character variable.

data want ;

infile 'myfile.csv' dsd firstobs=2 ;

length Excel $10  CSV 8 ;

input excel csv ;

run;

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I think you are doing a last step which confuses you.   When you save the Excel file to CSV, goto the saved file and right click and open with Notepad.  Look at the data there.  It will be corrrect.  What is happening is you are then opening the CSV in Excel.  Excel has a  "feature" that when it reads data, it interprets what it sees and because of the E which is for exponent it converts to number.  Ensure, in your SAS progam, when you read it in that you datastep input states character and it should work fine.

Another good reason not to use Excel for anything.

comeon2012
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Tom and RW9. I have resolved the problem according to your suggestions.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation