BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Bintang18
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS experts,

I have 4 datasets: q1, q2, q3 and q4 contains homeless/ primary residence, entrydate/exit dates among others.

q1    id                                        q2                                           q3                                         q4

id      homelessind          id       homelessind                         id  homelessind                      id homelessind

1            y                       2              y                                    3          y                                       1        y

2            y                        4             y                                    11         y                                       2        y

3           y                         6             y                                     5          y                                        4       y

3           y                         7             y                                      8        y                                        5        y

5                                                                                                                                                 7       y

9            y

I need to capture all of the students who were homeless and/or have no primary residence at some point during school year:

id            q1            q2            q3            q4

1              y                                              y

2              y              y                              y

3              y                               y

4                              y                              y

5             y                                y              y

can someone help me with this? I tried proc sql full join by id and  I got tons of duplicates. I tried left join and missing some of the data. Also how do I run dupkey when  I have hundreds of missing information....  Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bintang18
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

This syntax resolved my problem, have to do some transpose but the foundation is there.

Thank you! 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Don't put the data side-by-side, stack it vertically:

data q1;
input id homelessind $;
cards;
1 y
;
run;

data q2;
input id homelessind $;
cards;
2 y
;
run;

data q3;
input id homelessind $;
cards;
3 y
;
run;

data q4;
input id homelessind $;
cards;
1 y
2 y
;
run;

data want;
set
  q1
  q2
  q3
  q4
  indsname=quarter
;
qu = scan(quarter,2,'.');
run;

proc sort data=want;
by id qu;
run;
Bintang18
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I am off site, no access to SAS so I can't really apply the formula. But if you don't mind, each dataset has about 20,000 records and 21 variables - some with redundant ids because students moved from district to district/school, but their state_id remains. The formula  still apply, right??? Thank you again!

Bintang18
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

This syntax resolved my problem, have to do some transpose but the foundation is there.

Thank you! 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation