BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sivastat08
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi , i was trying to get  list of files(.csv) available in Directory including sub folder in SAS,please help me.

code

%macro list_files(dir,ext);
%local filrf rc did memcnt name i;
%let rc=%sysfunc(filename(filrf,&dir));
%let did=%sysfunc(dopen(&filrf));

%if &did eq 0 %then %do;
%put Directory &dir cannot be open or does not exist;
%return;
%end;

%do i = 1 %to %sysfunc(dnum(&did));

%let name=%qsysfunc(dread(&did,&i));

/* %if %qupcase(%qscan(&name,-1,.)) = %upcase(&ext) %then %do;*/
%if %qscan(&name,2,.) ne %then %do;
%put &dir\&name;

data _tmp;
length dir $512 name $100;
dir=symget("dir");
name=symget("name");
run;
proc append base=want data=_tmp;
run;quit;

%end;
%else %if %qscan(&name,2,.) = %then %do;
%list_files(&dir\&name,&ext)
%end;

%end;
%let rc=%sysfunc(dclose(&did));
%let rc=%sysfunc(filename(filrf));

%mend list_files;
%list_files("C:\Users\sivakumar.sivaraj\Documents\Dataset",*)

Error - ''The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS release. Inserting white space 
between a quoted string and the succeeding identifier is recommended''

1 ;*'
_
1 ! ;*";*/;quit;run;
NOTE 49-169: The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS release. Inserting white space
between a quoted string and the succeeding identifier is recommended.

2 OPTIONS PAGENO=MIN;
3 %LET _CLIENTTASKLABEL='Program'

NOTE 49-169: The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS release. Inserting white space
between a quoted string and the succeeding identifier is recommended.

4 %LET _CLIENTPROCESSFLOWNAME='Process Flow';
5 %LET _CLIENTPROJECTPATH='';
6 %LET _CLIENTPROJECTNAME='';
7 %LET _SASPROGRAMFILE=;
9 ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;
10 OPTIONS DEV=ACTIVEX;
11 GOPTIONS XPIXELS=0 YPIXELS=0;
12 FILENAME EGSR TEMP;
13 ODS tagsets.sasreport13(ID=EGSR) FILE=EGSR
14 STYLE=HtmlBlue
15 STYLESHEET=(URL="file:///C:/Program%20Files/SASHome/SASEnterpriseGuide/7.1/Styles/HtmlBlue.css")
NOTE: The quoted string currently being processed has become more than 262 characters long. You might have unbalanced quotation
marks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, I can't read that.  What software are you using, is it Windows/Unix/Server based?  Simplest method is to use the operating system if you have access, so for windows:

filename tmp pipe 'dir "c:/somewhere/*.csv" /b /s';

data want;
  infile tmp dlm="¬";
  length cmd_line $2000;
  input cmd_line;
run;

Want then contains the basics directory listing (/b) with all subdirectories (/s) only csv files.  Without more on the rest of the process its hard to say.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, I can't read that.  What software are you using, is it Windows/Unix/Server based?  Simplest method is to use the operating system if you have access, so for windows:

filename tmp pipe 'dir "c:/somewhere/*.csv" /b /s';

data want;
  infile tmp dlm="¬";
  length cmd_line $2000;
  input cmd_line;
run;

Want then contains the basics directory listing (/b) with all subdirectories (/s) only csv files.  Without more on the rest of the process its hard to say.

rickpaulos
Obsidian | Level 7

Nice & simple, BUT try it with sub folders with spaces in the folder names.  I'd like to see a fix for that beside renaming others' folders.

I use X to call dos commands and read in the results:

OPTIONS NOXWAIT;

X "cd c:\folder\sub folder\";

X "dir  *.csv  /b /s > files.txt";

DATA MyListOfcsvFiles;

INFILE 'files.txt' LRECL=256 PAD MISSOVER;

INPUT filenames $ 1-256;                    *256 is still the max path length allowed in dos/windows *;

RUN;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

PAD MISSOVER?? There is the TRUNCOVER option available for the INFILE statement now (only been around for about the last 30 years I think).

Note that the trick of using a strange character for the delimiter should eliminate the need for TRUNCOVER.

Of course both will have issues with filenames with leading spaces.  For that you could use $CHAR or $VARYING informat or just use the _INFILE_ automatic variable.

And for trailing spaces you will need to keep track of how many characters were on the original source line.

rickpaulos
Obsidian | Level 7

You learn what your teachers are comfortable with.  30 years ago?  That's about when I started learning SAS for DOS and I was assisted by older people who probably never read about updates. The local references were the thick v6 manuals that cost so much, they are still around. Truncover is not in those. And I prefer to avoid gimmicks in any programming language.  Keep it simple and easy to read and understand.  If you want cryptic gimmicks, try R.

Putting spaces in folder names, file names, Access column names, etc will mess up some languages for sure.  SAS is no exception.

AngusLooney
SAS Employee

Spaces in paths will always come back to annoy you, but you can cope with them, just ends up riving you mad with macro resolution, single and double quotes etc.

In columns names, best avoided.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

So you reply to a post from nearly a year ago to tell me that in your special circumstance whereby you are putting special characters in a path - something which is highly recommended not to do - the code doesn't work?

AngusLooney
SAS Employee

I've got a fleshed out macro that generates a dataset for the files in a directory and optionally subdirectories with file name, size, data and time, he the full and reletive paths. No issues with spaces etc.

Works for Windows using the file pipe mechanism (hence needs XCMDS), I have a Linux port of it knockign around as well.

Any use?

Long had a plan to move the the dread stuff, to avoid XCMDs, but there isn't as much functionality down that route IMHO.

NiyiAwe1
Fluorite | Level 6

This MACRO should help too:

/*MACRO TO GET ALL FILE NAMES AND DETAILS WITHIN A DIRECTORY*/
	%MACRO GET_FILE_NAMES(FILE_DIR	,COMMON_FILE_NAME ,FILE_FORMAT	,DATA_OUT);

FILENAME LS PIPE "dir &FILE_DIR.&COMMON_FILE_NAME.*.&FILE_FORMAT.";
		DATA FILE_NAMES (KEEP=LIST_FILE); 
			INFILE LS PAD TRUNCOVER EXPANDTABS ; 
			INPUT FILE_NAMES $10000.;
			LIST_FILE = COMPRESS('"'||FILE_NAMES||'"');
		RUN;
		PROC SQL;	SELECT LIST_FILE 	AS LIST_FILE		INTO:	LIST_FILE_1 - 		FROM FILE_NAMES; QUIT;
		PROC SQL; 	SELECT COUNT(*) 	AS NUM_OF_SEARCHES	INTO: 	NUM_OF_SEARCHES		FROM FILE_NAMES;	QUIT;

%DO Z = 1 %TO &NUM_OF_SEARCHES.;
			DATA RAW_WANT;			
				FILENAME LISA &&LIST_FILE_&Z..; 
				INFILE LISA TRUNCOVER ;
				FORMAT FILE_NAME $20000.;
				FILE_NAME 	= 	&&LIST_FILE_&Z..;
				FLIE_SIZE	=	FINFO(FOPEN('LISA') 		,'FILE SIZE (BYTES)');
				FORMAT MOD_DATE DATETIME.;
   				MOD_DATE	=	INPUT(FINFO(FOPEN('LISA')	,'LAST MODIFIED'), DATETIME.);     
   			    RIGHTS		=	FINFO(FOPEN('LISA')			,'ACCESS PERMISSION');      
		 		OWNER		=	FINFO(FOPEN('LISA')			,'OWNER NAME');      
			RUN;

PROC APPEND DATA = RAW_WANT BASE = WANT_1 FORCE; RUN;
		%END;
		DATA &DATA_OUT.; 	SET WANT_1; 		RUN;
		PROC DATASETS;		DELETE WANT_1 RAW_WANT FILE_NAMES;	RUN;
	%MEND GET_FILE_NAMES;

/*INPUT PARAMETERS HERE*/
	%GET_FILE_NAMES (FILE_DIR  			= \Users\abc\Desktop\ 		/* SPECIFY THE DIRECTORY LOCATION HERE*/
				   , COMMON_FILE_NAME 	= HAVE_NAME     			/* FILE COMMON NAME, YOU CAN PUT "*" HERE TO SELECT ALL FILE NAMES*/
				   , FILE_FORMAT 		= txt 						/* FILE FORMAT,  YOU CAN PUT "*" HERE TO SELECT ALL FILE FORMATS WITHIN THE DIRECTORY*/
				   , DATA_OUT			= WANT);		   			

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation