BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

As mentioned in my SGF talk, the 9.5 release of SAS is currently slated to contain long name support (i.e., up to 255 characters) for member names of type DATA, VIEW, and ITEMSTOR, as well as variable names for DATA, VIEW, and PROGRAM.

Those interested in a copy of the paper associated with my talk can contact their SAS account representative, asking them to request the latest version from me.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Am I correct in assuming that SAS client tools like EG will support long names if connected to a SAS 9.5 server, including the displaying of long external database table names and columns?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @SASKiwi - reasonable expectation, yes.  Though it may take a little while for all clients to be in sync with that.

BTW, we also updated the SASWare Ballot items about the 32-char limit and plans for lifting it.  No more detail than @Mark_sas shared here, but it is something to look forward to.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Is there a rough ETA for 9.5? I know M releases normally come around September but am unsure about 'major' releases? I'm attending the UK forum in a month so there maybe more info by then.

Thanks

Mark_sas
SAS Employee

The current target for 9.5 is the end of this year.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

paul_mccoy
Calcite | Level 5

Has there been any progress with this? Everyone I've asked at SAS knows nothing about the release of 9.5!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@paul_mccoy - As far as I'm aware SAS 9.5 is still being planned but with no official release timing. From what SAS tell me there is more happening with SAS 9.4, particularly to resolve SAS's use of the Adobe Flash player. I guess that means SAS 9.5 is at least another 12 months away and probably later rather than sooner.

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

@Mark_sas wrote:

As mentioned in my SGF talk, the 9.5 release of SAS is currently slated to contain long name support (i.e., up to 255 characters) for member names of type DATA, VIEW, and ITEMSTOR, as well as variable names for DATA, VIEW, and PROGRAM.

Those interested in a copy of the paper associated with my talk can contact their SAS account representative, asking them to request the latest version from me.

Hi Mark, as 9.5 seems to have fizzled away for the time being, any chance this made it into 9.4 M6? Thanks.

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @MRDM

Unfortunately, long names and data types were not released in SAS 9.4M6.

Best wishes,

Jeff

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Any update on this, it is now causing us major issues and the fix has been coming for years.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@MRDM  - As far as I'm aware the 9.4 life cycle was extended, currently still 9.4M6 but with 9.4M7 due out later in 2020. I haven't heard anything further regarding 9.5.

IMO most development effort now seems to be concentrated on the SAS Viya platform with a significant push to encourage SAS9 users to gradually migrate to the new cloud-ready technology. I wouldn't surprise me if the 32 character limit issue was fixed in Viya rather than SAS9.   

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi @MRDM 

I concur with @SASKiwi that there's a very good chance that correcting this is likely to happen first in Viya. I've been trying the Viya trial, and I'm finding it appears to be quite suitable for production work. I suggest you investigate it.

Tom

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Very disapointing that years later despite promises and a eta of probably by the end of 2018 there won't be a fix. Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway.

A viya trial is no good to me as we're not going to switch a national infrastructure with a few hundred users and I'm not the person who would make that decision, even more so when we are currently migrating to 9.4 on AWS instead of our own hosting. It looks like we're stuck with this issue, unfortunately I'll have to investigate other products that can support basic features like tables on databases which is a shame as I like SAS, but missing basic functionality is increasingly becoming an issue (such as xml processing much slower than ssis).

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@MRDM - I can understand your disappointment. One of the reasons for extending the SAS 9.4 life cycle was to deal with the Adobe Flash Player end-of-life problem. A lot of effort had to be put into removal of Flash Player dependencies in 9.4 so customers could upgrade before the end of 2020. Once that is behind us, perhaps we will see some progress on other fronts.   

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 14 likes
  • 12 in conversation