BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasuser_621
Calcite | Level 5

Background: I am reviewing a single, long SAS script that takes in 7 input SAS datasets, merges and manipulates them into dozens of intermediate temporary WORK datasets, and ultimately creates 3 output SAS datasets.

Goal: My goal is to visualize how the original 7 input SAS datasets feed into the final 3 output SAS datasets.

Additional details: These input datasets are from different libnames. They go through a number of DATA/PROC SQL steps that create intermediate datasets mostly through merges, with some data cleaning and sorting involved. What I want to see is a visual/flowchart that connects the inputs with outputs. For example, input datasets 1 and 3 “feed” into output dataset A, input datasets 2, 3, 4, and 6 “feed” into output dataset B, and input datasets 1, 4, 5, and 7 "feed" into output dataset C.

What I have tried: I have tried to run this as a Process Flow in SAS Enterprise Guide. However, that seems designed around having many smaller SAS scripts linked in succession. For reasons outside of my control, I am limited to reviewing this one very long SAS code and would not be able to break it up into smaller scripts. I can edit the code if absolutely needed. Is there a way that such a visual or process flow can be created?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The Enterprise Process Flow is really the only automatic way to "visualise" a hand-written SAS program. The Process Flow isn't designed to make it "pretty" or to lay it out in a more "understandable" way, just to show it as it is.

The only way to get this looking like a "proper" design would be to build process flows from scratch and lay it out exactly the way you want. I know this defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do. Otherwise, just use the flow chart tool of your choice and visualise the program the hard way, that is, manually.

sasuser_621
Calcite | Level 5

I understand. Thank you.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation