BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jwhite
Quartz | Level 8

Forgive me, as I'm new to SAS DI Studio, but I'm looking at a series of jobs that basically contain one 'node' (if that's the right term) which is 'Create Table and Metadata'. This goes out to a SAS DDL program and uses the format contained within to create a new table.

Well, instead of having one of these little 'one node' jobs for each table, I'd like to just have the table name be entered via a prompted parameter. I see that 'Create Table and Metadata' has a parameter tab, and when I create the parameter there, I'm unsure how to get the user to receive the prompt and for the user's input to be passed along as the table name. Do I need to modify the code in the Code tab? if my parameter name is '_parameter' would this be input in the line as follows:

'%let tableName = &_parameter'

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jwhite
Quartz | Level 8

Sure.

I was able to use the parameters within the option tab by prefacing the parameter name with '&' and ending it with '.'.

For example: &parameter.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hmm, I'm not sure what you are actually looking at.

If you open a job, and click the node, what does say in the "Node Type" field in the Basic Properties window (default placed at your bottom left)?

EN each of the SAS standard transformations ("Nodes") for table update  there are SAS DDL (or a data step with some attrib statements). Is this what you mean? Or do you have some custom made code?

From another angle, what is the requirement? Since most DI job are target table aware (they will be created if they doesn't exist during execution), this part is more or less for free.

But if you ave a DDL and no meta data registration...who made the DDL?

Data never sleeps
jwhite
Quartz | Level 8

I'm using DI Studio 4.4 and the 'Node Type' is 'Create Table and Metadata'. In the Transformations tab, under the 'Data' subset it's the option between 'Compare Tables' and 'Data Transfer'.

The odd thing is, that even in the help documentation this node isn't listed along with the other Data Transformations. Is it a new type?

Anyway, I've got the parameters now working in the node, but a prompt doesn't come up for the user when I execute the job. The only way it seems to work is if I enter the values in as defaults for the parameters, then use the parameters in the options tab. Again, I'm hoping for a user prompt to pop-up.

CT&M.png

To answer your other question...(Again I'm new to SAS DI Studio), my team makes the DDL via a SAS program, then uses this node to upload the metadata.

Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe I should start a new discussion about Prompts, since the table name as parameter has been resolved. Which folder would the new question be most appropriate in?

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi jwhite,

Welcome to the Data Management Community! You can start another discussion on the prompts topic the same way you submitted your question on table names. Can you mark LinusH's answer correct on this one (if it solved your initial challenge)? That way other members will know what worked.

Thanks!

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

jwhite
Quartz | Level 8

Sure.

I was able to use the parameters within the option tab by prefacing the parameter name with '&' and ending it with '.'.

For example: &parameter.

ananthtony
Calcite | Level 5

Hi jwhite,

Is that a custom component designed by your team? I don't see that component in my DI Studio. Please let me know.

Thanks,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation