BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jei
Quartz | Level 8 jei
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have logs from machines which is in a txt file format and I would like to convert it into SAS dataset or in a tabular form. I have SAS Data Integration and SAS Enterprise Guide in our environment. May I know how it will be possible?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

It depends on how sophisticated you want to be. At the most basic, this will work (untested, you'll need to check to see what the longest log records are, I'm assuming 256):

data LogData;

length LogRecord $256;

infile "/dir1/dir2/SASlog.log" lrecl=32767;

input;

LogRecord = _infile_;

run;

You can then get into all sorts of sophisticated fiddles. Try googling "SAS log scraper", and that should give you a ton of ideas.

Tom

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I guess you would have a hard time creating the import step with just a point-and-click interface. You most probably won't get around writing the code yourself, in a code node either in DI Studio or EG.

I have done such things, reading performance reports from mainframe into SAS, or from the log of the SAS/SHARE server or the webserver. To give you hints or code snippets, we would need an example of the log.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Thanks, @Kurt_Bremser.

I hadn't thought of trying it using the point and click options. I just gave it a quick test, and assuming all you want is one variable with the entire contents of the log line, the point and click import task works beautifully. I just defined the data as tab-delimited, and I don't believe there are ever any tabs in SAS logs.

Tom

jei
Quartz | Level 8 jei
Quartz | Level 8

Hi @Kurt_Bremser,

I masked the log details of the attached samle file but still the format is the same. Hope you can give me a hint to transform it into SAS dataset.

Thank you!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Try the following code. I added comments to describe what it does. Note that my detection of lines broken by a CRLF in the text might need modification.

data want;
/* The infile comes from DOS and uses CRLF and the pipe character as delimiter */
infile '$HOME/sascommunity/sample_log.txt' lrecl=500 termstr=CRLF dlm='|' truncover;
input f1 :$1. dt_str :$27. textstr :$200.;
if f1 ne ' '; /* filters emtpy lines */
dt = input(substr(dt_str,1,23),e8601dt23.3);
tz = substr(dt_str,25,3);
/* you might want to correct the timestamp according to the timezone, with intnx() */
format dt e8601dt23.3; /* ISO-standard display */
/* now let's test if we have a continuation line caused by a spurious CRLF in the text */
input teststr $200. @1 @@; /* hold the line pointer and reset the column to 1 */
if substr(teststr,1,1) = '08'x
then do;
  textstr = trim(textstr) !! teststr;
  input; /* finish reading the continuation line */
end;
drop dt_str teststr;
run;

PS I edited line 11 of your file before importing as it contains a typo in the year (22017).

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Anything is possible, especially when you have SAS.
The more that you know about the log files the better. Perhaps there's a file specification?
If it's a common machine source chances are that someone have experience with this task.
If you have DI Studio that's the preferred tool if this will be a continuous setup.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation