BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
anlyar2050
Calcite | Level 5

There is a table in Teradata which has bigint column, those columns aren't accessible from SAS. Is there any option to get access that columns from SAS EG 7.12

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @anlyar2050

SAS cannot read the BIGINT data types, directly. There are a couple of ways to handle it.

The first is to have your DBA create views which CAST the BIGINT columns to a character data type (Linus' recommendation). You can do this, without creating Teradata views, using explicit pass-thru.

I have pulled some slides covering using SAS with Teradata BIGINT from a workshop that I used to deliver. Hopefully, they will help. If the slides require clarification please let me know.

Teradata_BIGINT_01.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_02.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_03.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_04.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_05.jpg

Be careful with TRUNCATE_BIGINT. Doing calculations using BIGINT columns could very well be problematic because you can get incorrect answers.

http://support.sas.com/kb/39/831.html

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @anlyar2050

SAS cannot read the BIGINT data types, directly. There are a couple of ways to handle it.

The first is to have your DBA create views which CAST the BIGINT columns to a character data type (Linus' recommendation). You can do this, without creating Teradata views, using explicit pass-thru.

I have pulled some slides covering using SAS with Teradata BIGINT from a workshop that I used to deliver. Hopefully, they will help. If the slides require clarification please let me know.

Teradata_BIGINT_01.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_02.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_03.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_04.jpg

Teradata_BIGINT_05.jpg

Be careful with TRUNCATE_BIGINT. Doing calculations using BIGINT columns could very well be problematic because you can get incorrect answers.

http://support.sas.com/kb/39/831.html

anlyar2050
Calcite | Level 5

thanks for the reply.

I understand this but users usually won't do coding they will use tables and do query builder. So where can we set truncate_bigint to Yes? So that they can use tables in query builder instead of coding.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Agree that it's not very clear in the usage note, but I found a little more specific description in the ACCESS to Netezza doc:

"suppress the errors by setting the TRUNCATE_BIGINT environment variable to YES before you start SAS."
Data never sleeps
anlyar2050
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply.

I understand to set the TRUNCATE_BIGINT environment variable to YES, but I don't understand is where to set environmental variable?

Thanks.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
It depends on how/where your SAS session is/starts. Generally you could either use a SET instruction in a config file, or have it set in operating system, for your user or globally. You might sent to talk to your SAS responsible/admin or platform team for on site guidance.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation