BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

Hi - new to match code, cluster node and surviving record identification nodes.  Once I have successfully identified which record is the surviving record, I want to look for fields in the duplicate records and populate the survivor record with any missing data.

Example - My survivor has address, first name, last name but is missing telephone number, middle initial and title.  The matching records have this information populated, I want to bring fill the fields into the survivor record where it was previously null. 

I find documentation within the DF application but its highlevel.  I'm looking documentation that walks through in detail how to set up the survivor node, some examples to review or even some instruction via the community.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

I think I have it.  If I use 'longest value' for the middle name it works.  I tested out other fields and if I use isnot null, the field does not pull in. If I use longest value - the fields pull in.

I don't know that I understand why, other then maybe blanks are treated differently then nulls. 

Thanks for giving me some options to test out - hopefully this will do the trick. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
audrey
SAS Employee

Hi,

in the Surviving Record Identification node, there is a "Field Rules" button which will let you create your own rules to define what field your surviving record will be composed of. You can create one saying for example "Name <> empty string".

audrey_0-1617275644390.png

Does this help?

Audrey

www.sas.comsupport.sas.com
SAS®... THE POWER TO KNOW®
beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

This is an example of what I have for the middle name:

beamer108_0-1617277750647.png

and this is what I get back:

beamer108_1-1617277818908.png

The row showing true is my surviving record - I would like the 'R' in middle name from the row above it to appear in the surviving record row.  

audrey
SAS Employee

The Middle Name doesn't seem Null but blank. What if you try with Middle Name <> ""?

www.sas.comsupport.sas.com
SAS®... THE POWER TO KNOW®
beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for continuing to try to help me. I just tried this:

beamer108_0-1617280189858.png

and I get the same results. 

For this job I have multiple fields that I'm referencing in the Field Rules - maybe I have that set up incorrectly. 

I have each rule set up separately like this:

beamer108_1-1617280280651.png

Should I have them all in one condition??

beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

I think I have it.  If I use 'longest value' for the middle name it works.  I tested out other fields and if I use isnot null, the field does not pull in. If I use longest value - the fields pull in.

I don't know that I understand why, other then maybe blanks are treated differently then nulls. 

Thanks for giving me some options to test out - hopefully this will do the trick. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation