BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
nop
Fluorite | Level 6 nop
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I have been using this community to learn more about the codes.  May I ask for your expertise?  Here's the data I have and the output I want.  I tried to search some old posts but can't figure it out.  Many thanks for your help!

data have;
Zoo = 'A'; Animal = 'Big cat; Tiny strong dog; White pony'; output;
Zoo = 'B'; Animal = 'Big cat; Guinea pig'; output;
Zoo = 'C'; Animal = 'White pony; Small rabbit'; output;
Zoo = 'D'; Animal = 'Tiny strong dog; White pony'; output;
run;

Output I want
Zoo    Big cat     Tiny strong dog     White pony    Guinea Pig    Small Rabbit
A         1              1                            1                       0                  0
B         1              0                            0                       1                  0
C         0              0                            1                       0                  1
D         0              1                            1                       0                  0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

By default SAS will not create variables that include spaces or any character other than letters, digits or underscores and cannot start with a digit.

Why exactly do you think you want a data set in that format? What can you do with it?

A typical more useful data set would be to have something that looks like

Zoo Animal

A    "Big cat"

A    "Tiny strong dog"

A    "White Pony"

Then if you need to count things a report will make columns using the animal values. One possibility:

data have;
run;

data want;
   set have (rename=(animal=oldanimal));
   length animal $ 15;
   do i=1 to countw(oldAnimal,';');
      Animal = strip(scan(oldanimal,i,';'));
      output;
   end;
   drop oldanimal i;
run;

options missing='0';
proc report data=want;
   column zoo animal;
   define zoo/ group;
   define animal/across order=data;
run;
options missing='.';

One advantage of this approach is that if you only want to look at some animals you can select by using the Animal variable in a Where statement or data set option such as: Where Animal in ("Big cat" "White Pony"); With your data set you would have to select multiple variables AND remove other variables which with those "names" could get cumbersome pretty quickly. Consider, just how many animals a real zoo might have...

Another is if you have similar values that you later want to group together, such as "Big cat" and "Small cat" you could create a format that would display the value "Cat" and would group both big and small cat for reporting, graphing or modeling. With yours you would need to take another pass through the data with each such change and add more variables but you could use different formats with the same data to do many things.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please allow me to suggest a far better data structure for the output — long, instead of wide. This will make your programming now and in the future much easier.

data want;
    set have;
    do i=1 to countw(animal,';');
        this_animal=strip(scan(animal,i,';'));
        output;
    end;
    drop animal i;
run;

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

By default SAS will not create variables that include spaces or any character other than letters, digits or underscores and cannot start with a digit.

Why exactly do you think you want a data set in that format? What can you do with it?

A typical more useful data set would be to have something that looks like

Zoo Animal

A    "Big cat"

A    "Tiny strong dog"

A    "White Pony"

Then if you need to count things a report will make columns using the animal values. One possibility:

data have;
run;

data want;
   set have (rename=(animal=oldanimal));
   length animal $ 15;
   do i=1 to countw(oldAnimal,';');
      Animal = strip(scan(oldanimal,i,';'));
      output;
   end;
   drop oldanimal i;
run;

options missing='0';
proc report data=want;
   column zoo animal;
   define zoo/ group;
   define animal/across order=data;
run;
options missing='.';

One advantage of this approach is that if you only want to look at some animals you can select by using the Animal variable in a Where statement or data set option such as: Where Animal in ("Big cat" "White Pony"); With your data set you would have to select multiple variables AND remove other variables which with those "names" could get cumbersome pretty quickly. Consider, just how many animals a real zoo might have...

Another is if you have similar values that you later want to group together, such as "Big cat" and "Small cat" you could create a format that would display the value "Cat" and would group both big and small cat for reporting, graphing or modeling. With yours you would need to take another pass through the data with each such change and add more variables but you could use different formats with the same data to do many things.

nop
Fluorite | Level 6 nop
Fluorite | Level 6

PaigeMiller and Ballardw, thanks a million for the suggestions!! I have tried both solutions.  Ballardw, you are right. I should think about and work on a better grouping, so that the same dataset can be used for different analysis.  That's so much to learn and really thanks alot for your help!  Have a good day!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation