BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, So I'm doing this in DI Studio although as User Written Code. Hopefully this makes sense, there's an example at the end to hopefully help.

The situation is each supplier needs different fields (from a selection of ~50) but all suppliers get the same output delimited file, just the fields they don't need are blank. I had it working when each supplier just needed their fields but we now need everyone to get the same template, with just their fields populated. For example one supplier may need everyones Name, Address, DoB, another might just need Names and DoBs etc. It'll be a different combination for each and even the order may change (field names will match though) but the final output will be a fixed order and field list. 

I've setup the 1st part, so I have a UWC transformation with my full table as an input and a variable of the fields they need, it applies this (using a data step and keep) and gives me an output table of just the fields they are entitled to.

The second part I'm struggling with. So far I've tried a data step that sets the output with the full field list and all attribs which is fine, after that I use the below data step hoping it would just map the ones needed into my table and leave the rest as null, it didn't, it errors due to them being missing on the input:

data &_output.;
set &_input.;
run;

However trying to open the output table fails due to all the missing columns, what's needed is for it to do that and set all the unmapped fields to nulls. Essentially the process is:

Full Table > UWC - Filtered view of customer required fields > UWC - Map filtered list back, set non required to null > Full table (which will be exported to a delimited file), we can go straight to that and skip the final table if needed.

Any ideas thanks? Hopefully this helps, the filtered table will be different everytime:

In Table (50 fields):

Name Address Postcode DoB Colour
John Smith 1 made up street 1MDUS 01/01/2000 Blue
Jane Doe 2 Fake Place 2FAPL 31/12/2005 Red 

Filtered view (diff for each supplier and field order can change but names will always match, 1-50 fields)

Postcode DoB Name
1MDUS 01/01/2000 John Smith
2FAPL 31/12/2005 Jane Doe

Output (50 fields), can be sas table, ultimately will be a delimited file output):

Name Address Postcode DoB Colour
John Smith   1MDUS 01/01/2000  
Jane Doe   2FAPL 31/12/2005  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I don't understand how you know which fields a supplier gets.

Do you have that in a macro variable? Or can you get it into a macro variable?

Assume the list is in the macro variable VARLIST.  Like this:

%let varlist=Postcode DoB Name;

Now you can write a step like this to create a dataset with ALL of the variable but only populate the ones you want.

data &_output.;
  set &_input.(obs=0) &_input.(keep=&varlist.);
run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Could you share the important bits of the code for one supplier, as if you weren't trying to generalize it? That'll give us an idea of what the basic coding looks like.

Tom

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I don't understand how you know which fields a supplier gets.

Do you have that in a macro variable? Or can you get it into a macro variable?

Assume the list is in the macro variable VARLIST.  Like this:

%let varlist=Postcode DoB Name;

Now you can write a step like this to create a dataset with ALL of the variable but only populate the ones you want.

data &_output.;
  set &_input.(obs=0) &_input.(keep=&varlist.);
run;

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

I tried your code and it worked, that's great thanks, so it seems the only thing I was missing was on my first UWC and my second UWC isn't needed. What does the below do to make it work (I know obs=0 creates the empty dataset)? How does that solve the mapping issue?

Thanks

&_input.(obs=0) 

For reference my code is below:

&supplier_fields. is a variable from a reference table created by a loop which loops through each supplier and creates the variable for their selected fields.

UWC1 (works to make filtered list of just the selected fields) 

data &_output.;
set &_input.
(keep = &supplier_fields.);
run;

UWC 2, doesn't work, my attempt to map the few to the many:

DATA  &_output.
         (keep = NAME ADDRESS POSTCODE DOB COLOUR )
      ; 

attrib NAME length=$25 format=$25. label="NAME"
          ADDRESS length=$50 format=$50. label="ADDRESS"
          POSTCODE length=$8 format=$20. label="POSTCODE"
          DOB length=8 format=DATETIME26.7 label="DOB"
          COLOUR length=$25 format=$25. label="COLOUR"
          ; 
run;

data &_output.;
set &_input.;
run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The data step compiler defines the variables essentially by the first reference to them.  By adding the extra reference to the full dataset we insure that is the first place they are seen.  By adding the OBS=0 dataset option when the step actually runs no records are actually read from that reference to the dataset. Instead the one with the KEEEP= option is the one where the values are read, but because of the KEEP= option the values form the unnamed variables are not copied in.

Your attempt does not work because you are running TWO data steps.  So the second one just overwrites the first one, so effectively it is ignored.  Also you appear to be trying to do the opposite of what you described.  By adding the KEEP= option on your OUTPUT dataset, that will only keep the listed variables, instead of keeping the super set of variables. You could collapse them into one data step.  But it is not clear it is really want you want since you want the extra variable kept.  This type of logic would work if INPUT does NOT have the extra variables and you want to add the ATTRIB statement so that those variables are defined so they can be written to OUTPUT.

DATA  &_output.; 
  attrib NAME length=$25 format=$25. label="NAME"
          ADDRESS length=$50 format=$50. label="ADDRESS"
          POSTCODE length=$8 format=$20. label="POSTCODE"
          DOB length=8 format=DATETIME26.7 label="DOB"
          COLOUR length=$25 format=$25. label="COLOUR"
          ; 
  set &_input.;
run;

PS You seem to have an extra U in that last variable name.  🙂 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you always want the same structure then just define a mapping table with all the columns but no rows. Then in the data step where you create the actual table use the mapping table at the beginning - this will create the PDV with the variable names and attributes you want (it's first comes first served with SAS so same named variables in later input tables won't overwrite already defined variables in the PDV).

Below sample code to illustrate what I mean.

data mapping;
  stop;
  attrib 
    colA length=8 format=best32.
    colB length=$5 label='some label'
    ;
run;

data sup1;
  attrib colB label="label you don't want";
  colB='abc';
run;

data out_sup1;
  if 0 then set mapping;
  set sup1;
run;

proc contents data=out_sup1;
run;quit;

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for the replies, Tom's first solution worked fine, just adding the "&_input.(obs=0)". It creates the output file with all fields but only populates the ones I specify in keep= with data which is perfect.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation