BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pparpati
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am new to SAS. And we use SAS EG to connect to a SAS UNIX server.

There are so many processes that are manually run every day and results are exported to a windows shared drive manually.

The requirement is to automate and schedule the processes.

What are the options to do so? Please let me know if more details are needed.

Thanks,

Praveena

4 REPLIES 4
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11
The first thing I'd do is read Wendy's blog post here:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2013/08/14/four-ways-to-schedule-sas-tasks/

That covers the four common ways you'd use to schedule processes. Using EG on a server, you're probably going to prefer the third method I would guess, unless you have SAS Grid or similar in which case you may prefer the fourth. But the second method is also possible using EG, if you don't have a metadata server running for some reason and/or prefer to use windows tools.
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Since your SAS jobs are running on a UNIX server, I recommend you use your Unix scheduling (cron, scripts) capabilities or one of the SAS server-side products to schedule production jobs.

Enterprise Guide is a great tool, but I don't feel it's the best for scheduling production jobs on a remote server, as there are too many moving pieces (your machine, the network, and finally your SAS server). If any of these is having issues, it can interfere with your job executing correctly.

Use EG to develop and test your code, and for exploratory data analysis. Once you have your SAS programs going the way they should be, put them on the server and schedule them there.

If you search this site, you'll find a lot of posts that recommend this, in response to people who are experiencing problems using the EG scheduling facilities.

Tom

pparpati
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for both your inputs. Will try and see how it goes. Will post what I find later here. Thanks a bunch!

pparpati
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

As a first attempt to schedule, I used the Enterprise Scheduler and created a schedule, which actually created a Windows task.

But it failed to run with the error below:

Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. (0x80070569)

What could be the issue?

And also, the SAS server is UNIX and SAS EG is on a Virtual Desktop, like a mentioned before, what are some of the challenges using the SAS EG scheduler which creates jobs on a virtual computer that I logon to run processes on the UNIX server. The processes I run create access and excel outputs which need to be saved on Windows shared drives and share point destinations.

Thank you,

Praveena

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation