BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JinboZhao
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I have a problem of output observations which contains missing values in some variables, but not all the variables. 

Currentlly, I have a dataset, which contains 53 character variables and 24 numeric variables, and about 100000 observations. I would like to output a new table which contains those observations, which have missing values in some variables, but not all the variables. 

Or, I like to output each table for each variable, which only contains observations which contain missing values under this variable.

Could anyone show me code to do this?

Many appreciation. 

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

The second is very easy though routine and tedious repeatedly:

Data _varname;

set have;

where missing (varname);

run;

Repeat for each variable of interest.

If your variable names are not too long you could automate this with:

proc sql;
   create table vars as
   select name
   from dictionary.columns
   where libname='MYLIB' and memname='SETNAME'
   ;
quit;

data _null_;
   set vars;
   call execute ("data "|| cats('_',name)||';');
   call execute ("set MYLIB.SETNAME;");
   call execute ("where missing("||name||");");
   call execute ("run;");
run;

MYLIB should be replaced with the name of your library or WORK if you didn't specify and SETNAME with the name of your data set.

In the Proc SQL code those should be in upper case as that is how they are stored in the Dictionary.Columns table.

Missing in some but not all needs additional explanation as you have a lot of possible combinations.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation