BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, This might be fairly obvious but formats have always been my downfall and I'm up against the clock or I'd try experiment. I'm doing this in an expression on an Extract Transformation in DI Studio.

CASE WHEN DOB  ^= .
THEN input(cats(year(datepart(DOB)),month(datepart(DOB))),6.)
ELSE . END

Gives me 20055, I'd like 200505 (dates like 200512 are already fine). The output is a straight numeric rather than a date so I didn't think it would be an issue, from a quick google I found using z as the format so tried z6. but that didn't work.

Any ideas? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Why do you want a mostly unusable number, instead of a date with a proper format?

intnx('month',datepart(dob),0,'b') as newvar format=yymmn6.

All raw date values will be aligned to the first of the month, and missing values will automatically result in missing values.

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

It's been exported to a delimited file so won't hold the formats anyway, if it was staying in a SAS/SQL table I agree, all I need is a string with the leading zero, I have 20055 already, I just need it to be 200505. I'm not sure that code will drop into the express on an extract and would need to be user written code instead? I've not really got time to start making changes to the layout of the job and more transformations, I was hoping to just edit my current expression slightly. Missing dates are already ignored as I exclude null dates in the first part.

Also if you think that's useless, they also want YEARDAY e.g. 200525  🤣

I tried:

CASE WHEN DOB  ^= .
THEN input(cats(year(datepart(DOB)),intnx('month',datepart(DOB),0,'b')),6.)
ELSE . END

20-10-1983 became 198386?

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, I got it working with the below, I had to change it to go Numeric to Chararter as Numeric to Numeric didn't work as on MONTHDAY it was still dropping leading zeroes (not an issue with YEARMONTH).

CASE WHEN DOB ^= . 
THEN cats(put(year(datepart(DOB)),z4.),put(month(datepart(DOB)),z2.))
ELSE "" END

I tried

put(datepart(dob),yymmn6.)

It got upset I think because it was going datetime to a straight numeric.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation