BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SVoldrich
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a quirk -

last week I asked how to change a format on a timestamp field from $26. to date and you guys were awesome with that answer...

i moved the program to my remote desktop to let it run over there and not tie up my laptop.

BUT...

when i run the program on my remote desktop it actually sees that field as a date/time and not as the character.

Exact same code (litterally copied and pasted the .sas file from one drive to another)

Exact same tables (ODBC connection)

Exact same program (SAS 9.2)

The only thing that changed was the computer i'm running it on.

Has anyone experienced this?

Why is it doing this?

is there a setting to change on the remote so i don't have to rewrite my code?

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

I would suspect that the ODBC driver versions may differ, especially if different versions of the OS.

SVoldrich
Obsidian | Level 7

nope.

exact same driver, exact same OS (Win7)

SVoldrich
Obsidian | Level 7

the driver totally makes sense... but i've checked it 3 times now...

It won't let me paste - but here is the issue:

When I do proc sql; describe table [table]; quit;

I get what you would expect when I run the program.

Note: SQL table [table] was created like:

create table [table] (

and then it lists the fields as it should.

everything matches except for this field:

On my remote desktop i get this:

ACTY_TMSTP num format=DATETIME25.6 informat=DATETIME25.6 label='ACTY_TMSTP'

On my laptop i get this:

ACTY_TMSTP char(26) format=$26. informat=$26. label='ACTY_TMSTP'

Of course, this is the field I am working with. I wrote code to compare this date with others - so now to run it on the remote desktop i need to change the code...

Reeza
Super User

Use a browser other than IE to paste or paste into text file then into the editor here.

SVoldrich
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry, our office only uses IE.

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi,

Can you post the SAS logs from a run on each machine?

Reeza
Super User

Depending on your code you may want to consider Pass - Thru SQL instead which shouldn't have that issue.

SVoldrich
Obsidian | Level 7

Isn't that what proc sql is? (pass thru?)

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

PROC SQL will allow you to enter SAS SQL code or explicitly pass DBMS-specific code to the database.

What is your target database?  Which ODBC driver are you using?

Copy your SAS logs to a text editor (Notepad) then high-light that text and re-copy it. You should be able to paste it into the Communities site.

Reeza
Super User

No, for example you can run SQL code on SAS datasets that aren't on a SQL server so definitely not Pass-Thru.

Pass Through will submit SQL code to your server, so the DBMS type is important. It can be more efficient because work is then done on the server not on your computer.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation